Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone out there build two houses?

Options
  • 10-02-2019 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I moved into my self build new storey house last October and i would love another go at it...Ive learned so much from the process...i would love to do it again putting all my new knowledge to use...
    Did anyone ever have same dilemma? And go on to build a second one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Someone before told me you eventually get it right on the third one!

The main problem is "shifting goalposts" - the house that's "right" for a couple with two kids under 4 is not "right" when the kids are teens and the replacement is not "right" when the kids are gone and the parents are retirees. I find some people don't approach the layout and design from a "whole of life" approach - not saying that's you OP. But I'd caution against directly "rectifying" the things that went "wrong" with the current house - use them as guidelines rather than rules!!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Carrickbeg

Someone before told me you eventually get it right on the third one!

The main problem is "shifting goalposts" - the house that's "right" for a couple with two kids under 4 is not "right" when the kids are teens and the replacement is not "right" when the kids are gone and the parents are retirees. I find some people don't approach the layout and design from a "whole of life" approach - not saying that's you OP. But I'd caution against directly "rectifying" the things that went "wrong" with the current house - use them as guidelines rather than rules!!

Agreed. We designed house pre kids. Now we've 2. Mountains of plastic toys and no playroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ajarms86

I would say definately try go for it, but with caution, if your in rural area it might be a challenge getting planning for a second home if you already own one.

What about a majour rennovation to your existing home, you could apply all you learned but at a smaller scale . .

Advertisement