Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forestry and grants

Options
  • 10-02-2019 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I have a parcel of forestry planted in the 1990's,however no grants were ever claimed on it.Would it now be possible to cut this out and replant it and avail of grants on the new plant .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭timfromtang

karolmc100 wrote: »
    I have a parcel of forestry planted in the 1990's,however no grants were ever claimed on it.Would it now be possible to cut this out and replant it and avail of grants on the new plant .

Question?
    If you already have an established forest WHAT DO YOU NEED A GRANT FOR?
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 21,173 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Read what the OP asked?
    Don't know but at 28 years it must be near clearfell esp if it wasn't thinned a few times.
    Cannot see why it would not qualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Water John wrote: »
    Read what the OP asked?
    Don't know but at 28 years it must be near clearfell esp if it wasn't thinned a few times.
    Cannot see why it would not qualify.

They'd have to apply for a felling license to clear-fell it and with this comes the obligation to replant and they are no grants currently to replant sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭timfromtang

selective felling and conversion to continuous cover may suit the site, there are new measures available from DAFM to grant aid continuous cover conversion, 750/ha for each intervention and 3 interventions over 12 years.

tim

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭karolmc100

Was never maintained over the years so growth is very pachy in places planted before my time i feel if i cud clear fell it i may be able to establish a proper forest. But cud not justify doing this if no grabts were available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Unless something has changed dramatically recently, and I don't think it has, re-afforestation is not grant aided.
    The recently announced Continuous Cover Forestry Scheme as suggested above might be an option?

The rule-of-thumb I'm hearing for the last while is that you should reserve €1500-2000 of the proceeds of clearfell to cover the costs of replanting.

Advertisement