Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Men Want

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Looks woeful, void of any charm the original had, the trailer literally had a dick and also a fart joke..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,220 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'll be giving that a wide berth.

Usually trailers are meant to make you wanna see a film ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Heard this described as this year's version of the Overboard remake. Seems an apt comparison.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This looks very bad.

However, What Women Want was very bad, so nothing of value will have been compromised regardless of how this turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

This looks very bad.

However, What Women Want was very bad, so nothing of value will have been compromised regardless of how this turns out.

But it's being compared to mid period Fellini?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It might flop, like the recent Ghostbusters film did

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,877 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This looks very bad.

Agreed. What Women Want was a trainwreck. I didn't know what to expect with it but I was still disappointed.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I liked What Women Want

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

This movement to remake movies but swap the genders is awful. Just make a new movie with women in the leading roles.

What's next? The Great Escape? Italian Job? Schindler's List?

Why not remake The Full Monty with women? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I think the relationship between the main character and his daughter in what women want was good, and there were some very funny scenes in it. Wasn't a bad film overall. You never actually learn what women want though.

I can just imagine this "remake" will be terrible as it will turn out all men really want is to show their sensitive side and cry into their cornflakes, apart from the toxic masculity sufferers, who want to rape everything in sight, but I am hoping to be proven wrong.

Oh yeah the bad men will all be white and the good ones all non white. How did I do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Just watched the trailer. Way worse than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Surely everyone already knows the answer: "to be left in peace with a nice pint and the paper"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Wheety wrote: »

Well you could say The Full Monty was sort of a genderswap remake of Striptease...

The Full Monty: 'After losing his job at a steel factory, Gaz (Robert Carlyle) learns that his wife wants to sue him for missed child support payments. Desperate for money, Gaz and his friend Dave (Mark Addy) decide to create their own male strip-tease act...'

Striptease: 'When her ex-husband gets custody of their daughter, former FBI office assistant Erin Grant (Demi Moore) needs money to fight the legal case to get her child back...'

Only The Full Monty was a comedy and Striptease was a flop! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,967 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This movement to remake movies but swap the genders is awful. Just make a new movie with women in the leading roles.

Leave the pearl-clutching, I didn't realise we lived in a world were What Women Want was culturally sacrosanct :D :rolleyes: In any case, the gender-swap is about as old as Hollywood itself and you can go back as far as His Girl Friday in 1940 for examples of flipping the gender.

And it's not even gender flipping either; how many films in Hollywood can be described with suffixes along the lines of ".. but with women!", "... but with pets!", "... but in space!" etc. etc.

And hey, when done right it actually changes the story and dynamic; witness something like Judy Dench becoming the new M - Skyfall's entire plot would have been a different beast altogether with Ralph Fiennes in the role instead. The entire matriarchal element disappears.

As for What Men Want: it looks like utter crud, and seems to be reviewing thus as well. What Women Want was also utter crud so the world will keep spinning and nothing will have been lost or gained.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Well you could say The Full Monty was sort of a genderswap remake of Striptease...
    British comedy Calendar Girls was the female equivalent.

I have no issue with remaking less than classic movies. What I cannot take any more is films based on someone banging their head (or similar) and waking up in someone else's body/life, or having magically [insert plot premise].

Mona Lisa Smile was the female equivalent of Dead Poets Society

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Steaming pile of poo from the looks of it. ConAnne the Barbarian will be next

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I know the 'gender swap remake' has become one of the odd battlegrounds of the culture wars (to the point it even engulfs one of the most immediately forgettable rom-coms of the 1990s, evidently!). But there's few if any conceits more logically, naturally suited to a gender swap than the one at the core of What Women Want. I mean, the conceits absolutely awful, but the obvious next step is to look at it from the opposite perspective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,967 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Absolutely, it's an objectively obvious sequel given the format and conceit of the film. But sure it's easier just to pretend there's some Great Slight in the works.

... who knew men were such delicate snowflakes?

*gets coat and leaves*

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Only The Full Monty was a comedy and Striptease was a flop! :)
    I was a 14 year old boy when I saw Striptease. Flop is not the word I personally would use to describe my experience with it.... :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Autecher wrote: »
    I was a 14 year old boy when I saw Striptease. Flop is not the word I personally would use to describe my experience with it.... :o

:pac: edge of your seat movie? :D

Hard movie?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Does Mel make a cameo?

I don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there is a woke version of dirty rotten scoundrels around the corner...cant wait :rolleyes:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

:pac: edge of your seat movie? :D

There wasn’t a dry seat in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

silverharp wrote: »
    there is a woke version of dirty rotten scoundrels around the corner...cant wait :rolleyes:
    You can't be calling women Dirty Rotten Scoundrels though as that would be very sexist and misogynistic. It would be called Clean Fresh Queens.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels itself is a remake of a 1964 film called Bedtime Story

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

There's potentially interesting themes to explore here like having to put up a strong front, trying to fit in with bro culture but not getting it, that kind of thing (Gillette would be happy). But the trailer just gives the impression that all the men will be "hur hur dur dur". The fart joke, for example :/

🤪

• Advertisement

branie2 wrote: »
    Dirty Rotten Scoundrels itself is a remake of a 1964 film called Bedtime Story

Hush now, don't be bringing common sense into this thread; we're meant to be ANGRY! Grr! Women, or something!

First they steal our manly Ghostbusting jobs, now they want our Magical-Reality-Gender-Morality-Tale films too!

Grr!

:rolleyes: :D

Advertisement