Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damage to new build

Options
  • 09-02-2019 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I'm supposed to take possession of a new build in 2 weeks. We met with the builders kitchen supplier a while ago and designed our kitchen and ordered our appliances from powercity and had them delivered to the house for installation. I saw them fully boxed up waiting to be installed. I went to look at the house and check on progress and I noticed that the induction hob has several scratches on it, the hob was quite expensive so I'm not happy about the damage.

Has anyone been in this situation before?

Also the kitchen floor tiles have lots of black marks on them. I'm not sure if it's dirt or scratches. The house isn't finished yet so there is still lots of debris lying around on them and counter tops etc.

If the tiles are scratched then it looks like the whole kitchen would have to be retiled.

Obviously the builder won't be keen to fix all this as this could cost quite a lot of money.

What's my legal standing here? I wouldn't want to lose the house over it obviously.

Has anyone resolved similar situations and if so, how?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Damage to tiles should be repaired, not sure about the appliances.

Surprised the builder let you have them installed prior to handover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Were the cost of supply and installation included in the house price?

Stanford wrote: »

Yeah, I assumed from the OP that the appliances were bought and installed separate to the house purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dublinguy2018

Stanford wrote: »
    The kitchen people the builder is using installed the appliances. All prices included except connection fee to the electricity but that hasn't been done yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

The black marks could be rubber marks off someone shoes or off the rubber legs of an appliance.if so they will rub off

• Advertisement

If the supply and installation is part of the builder's contract price but the kitchen people are being paid by the builder then this is a dispute between the builder and the supplier, insist that the damage is rectified before you take possession.

The kitchen people the builder is using installed the appliances. All prices included except connection fee to the electricity but that hasn't been done yet.

When I bought I could order my appliances through the kitchen people and any damage prior to handover would be covered, or I could wait and buy separately but only install after handover as any damages wouldn’t be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Before you take posession and pay you usually do a snag.
    These items are listed in the snag and fixed before closing.

The cost, supply and installation is a contract between the supplier and the builder and is presumably outlined in your Contract (?), stay out of it until they resolve the damages between them. Make your Solicitor aware of this NOW as it will undoubtedly get messy

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dublinguy2018

What if the kitchen people installed the appliances fine but then the builders damaged the appliance after by not protecting it when working on the house?

• Advertisement

What if the kitchen people installed the appliances fine but then the builders damaged the appliance after by not protecting it when working on the house?

That’s for the builder and supplier to come to an agreement, you just don’t handover the money until you are happy.

I got talking to the be of the kitchen fitters when I was buying and he told me that there was no love lost between the builder and the kitchen crowd because of damage to the kitchen post installation.

The builder made the supplier repair it all, even thought (according to the fitter) the damage was caused by other sunbird.

Same difference, the builder retains possession of the house until final payment and handover, you don't care who did the damage, the contract was with the builder to "supply and fit", hold your position and don't close the sale

Have you approached the builder with your complaint and what was the response? Stay away from the kitchen people, you have no contract with them.

Advertisement