Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Albert Finney

Options
  • 09-02-2019 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,418 ✭✭✭✭

It's been mentioned in the general RIP thread already but this should really have a thread of it's own.

Albert Finney really was one of the greats.

There was a time in the 1980s when John Huston hailed him as the finest actor of his generation.

An impeccable professional, acclaimed for his commanding dramatic roles in classic films like Miller's Crossing, Under the Volcano, The Dresser just to name a few.

He had a more playful side too as seen in films like Tom Jones. And he even enjoyed roles in the occasional musical.

I've always loved the "bonus" scene from Erin Brokovich.

RIP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

He was brilliant as Oliver "Daddy" Warbucks in Annie

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

I loved him in Big Fish too. RIP Albert.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Loved his deep voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

He was brilliant in a film called “shooting the moon” opposite Diane Keaton about the disintegration of a marriage. I love Keaton too. She’s brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I also loved Finney in A Man of No Importance where he played the role of a gay CIE bus conductor from Dublin.

He nailed that old Dublin accent brilliantly. RIP Albert.

• Advertisement

He had many great roles, but Big Fish and Finney's performance hits more each time I watch it and the older I get.

RIP Albert Finney.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm taking his death as a prompt to watch the Woodfall Studios boxset that the BFI released last year since there are three of Finney's early films in there, including Saturday Night & Sunday Morning, which I've been wanting to watch since reading the writeup of it in Sight & Sound last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

My favourite movie of his is Two for the Road with Audrey Hepburn.

He was great in Before the Devil Knows you are Dead, with P Seymour Hoffmann

Even the cameo in Oceans 12 was a pleasure to watch for me.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oh no, I hadn't heard about his passing. To be honest I only really knew him from Erin Brockovich, but it's a good one to be remembered for. His chemistry with Julia Roberts was fantastic, a great actor. Rip.

Advertisement