Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best alarm system for new home

Options
  • 09-02-2019 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've bought a house recently and looking to see what the best Home Security system is to have in place.

I've heard PhoneWatch is pretty good, with the app that they have also, but wondering if you guys have any recommendations?

Not looking to go very cheap or very expensive, something in the middle would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I have Phonewatch for 3 years and am getting rid. Very expensive (approx 38/month plus install fee 500, so 450-ish per year). You can do next to nothing with the panel compared to any other system I've used, much older systems have zones, you can easily inhibit individual sensors, lower the volume etc, not possible with PW (except leave a window open and re-arm and it will ignore it as a workaround). Also, if the alarm is triggered you have no idea what sensor set it off until PW phone you, which is frankly bizarre! Every other system I've used would tell you at the panel, not PW. They will phone very quickly but I've often made it to the panel before the call comes through with no idea where the potential threat is.

On the plus side the app is good (and 'free' unlike HKC) with push notifications every time it's armed or disarmed and you can arm it remotely if you forgot to set it on the way out. I've had next to no trouble with it over the 3 years which is another plus. They have inertia/shock sensors which I believe some don't (Siemens/Vanderbilt although there is a workaround available)

Also, having read stuff on here it seems it's quite vulnerable to smash and grab attacks.

I would recommend you do lots more research into HKC, Siemens/Vanderbilt, GSD, Pyroniks etc before going near Phonewatch.

The sticky at the top of this forum is well worth a read (with a pinch of salt when it comes to installers bashing rival brands)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

@pm1977

I am not aware of any issues or "workarounds" for inertia / shock sensors in combination with a Siemens panel !
    Can you detail please !?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭altor

rolion wrote: »
    @pm1977

I am not aware of any issues or "workarounds" for inertia / shock sensors in combination with a Siemens panel !
    Can you detail please !?

Thanks.

They dont do wire free Inertia contacts.
    You can add a bridge and use different brands if stuck.
    Wired is ok.

Advertisement