Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pannier racks

Options
  • 08-02-2019 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any recommendations for a good pannier rack for a road bike? My bike has eyelets at the dropouts, but the clearance probably isn't great.

Looking for something to use primarily as a commuter, but which can also handle 2 or 3 days touring if I decide to have a go at that this summer.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

This is on CRC at the minute

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/topeak-super-tourist-dx-rack/rp-prod32817

Although the blackburn central rear rack seems to get very good reviews for versatility.

Will probably be used with Ortlieb back roller panniers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've a a few of the tortec ones and have had no issues with any of them.

Thanks! Something like this perhaps?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/tortec-ultralite-rear-rack/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Thanks! Something like this perhaps?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/tortec-ultralite-rear-rack/

That's the very one I used for years until I upgraded to the touring one. Should still have it knocking about too.

If you run disc brakes, I think it's a bit of PITA to put on, might be more specific pannier for that or require some clips

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

+1 on the Tortec Ultralite rack. Use it on my commuter. It’s not as bulky as some racks, so looks good on a road bike. Not as robust as my Tubus rack, but fine for commuting and light touring. The clearance for disc calipers was an issue for me. I solved it by putting a TRP Spyre mechanical road caliper on the seatstay fittings. It’s a great disc caliper and sits much further inboard than other mechanical disc calipers. Unfortunately, the post mount version is no longer available.

• Advertisement

Oh cool, that's good. I was a bit worried from the reviews that it might be a bit flimsy (rack inclined to wobble), but sounds like you're both fairly happy with it.

No disc brakes so I should be good with fit I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

Thanks very much for the offer but i've already ordered the Tortec ultralite rack. Now I just need to decide on panniers!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Hard to go wrong with Ortlieb Classic Rollers.

Totally agree. Cheapest I can see at the moment is EUR 119 on cyclestore.ie.

Hoping some good deal on them comes up

• Advertisement

Went with the Ortlieb classic back rollers in the end. Have yet to hit a real downpour, but they seem excellent so far. Really easy to get on and off the bike. Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I also have a tortec ultralite on my commuter. It depends on the position of the calipers with the disc brakes - biggest issue I had was with both the rack and guards rather than the calipers.

Yeah, I had the same issue (rack and mudguard mounts rubbing). Luckily it wasn't major and was easily solved.

Advertisement