Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House location in an estate

Options
  • 08-02-2019 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭

Was just wondering when people house hunt to live in an estate do they ever consider or even reject houses based on their actual location inside the estate? And does the property market factor in a price premium for some house locations over others?

For example if you live in the first few houses at the entrance of a 100 house estate and you calculate that each house owns 1.5 cars then it follows that there will be approximately 300 car movements past your front door every day. Add in delivery, taxi and take away drivers and its likely more. This mightnt have been a problem in the past when front gardens were bigger but nowadays in newer estates they are tiny and your front living room is a lot closer to the road. Thinking about it I reckon sitting in a living room looking out at a constant stream of traffic rolling by could turn out to be a headwrecker if you're not used to it.

Another location problem I've heard of -a mate rented a 3 bed in an estate. The entrance road into it is dead straight and about 200m long before it turns right around a corner. His house location is right bang at that corner. This means at night time every few minutes he has cars directly shining their full beam lights into his living room. It comes in when they are about 100m away and gets stronger as they get closer and then flashes out as they swing around the corner. He says that with modern bright white LED lights on newer cars it is really annoying to be watching tv and having these lights shining in, they are just so powerful. After a few months he bought blackout blinds but while they helped he still gets light leaks into the house. As a result he said when he is eventually buying he would specifically avoid ever buying a house on the corner facing a busy road. The inverse of that of course is that some people specifically seek out corner houses because they have bigger back gardens. Estate agents will upsell and seek to get a higher price for a corner house with a bigger garden but for my mate he defintiely wouldn't buy one facing down a long entrance road.

Then same mate was chatting to a neighbour a bit down the road who lives in a cul de sac with a turning circle. He also suffers light pollution problems as cars to a full 360 turn. The cul de sac isn't as busy traffic wise so he can live with it but it can be a bit of an annoyance.

Another problem location wise can be a small green area. In an estate I lived in before we lived next to one of these which meant a bunch of about 6-10 teenagers congregating most dry nights standing there tchatting, kicking footballs, smoking weed, etc. We were only renting at the time so put up with it for the sake of not getting into a war with teenagers but it would be very different if you bought a house and had this outside it every night.

So do others consider the location of a house when buying in an estate? Are there locations you would reject out of hand? Are there other locations where you would place a price premium over others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was just wondering when people house hunt to live in an estate do they ever consider or even reject houses based on their actual location inside the estate? And does the property market factor in a price premium for some house locations over others?

For example if you live in the first few houses at the entrance of a 100 house estate and you calculate that each house owns 1.5 cars then it follows that there will be approximately 300 car movements past your front door every day. Add in delivery, taxi and take away drivers and its likely more. This mightnt have been a problem in the past when front gardens were bigger but nowadays in newer estates they are tiny and your front living room is a lot closer to the road. Thinking about it I reckon sitting in a living room looking out at a constant stream of traffic rolling by could turn out to be a headwrecker if you're not used to it.

Another location problem I've heard of -a mate rented a 3 bed in an estate. The entrance road into it is dead straight and about 200m long before it turns right around a corner. His house location is right bang at that corner. This means at night time every few minutes he has cars directly shining their full beam lights into his living room. It comes in when they are about 100m away and gets stronger as they get closer and then flashes out as they swing around the corner. He says that with modern bright white LED lights on newer cars it is really annoying to be watching tv and having these lights shining in, they are just so powerful. After a few months he bought blackout blinds but while they helped he still gets light leaks into the house. As a result he said when he is eventually buying he would specifically avoid ever buying a house on the corner facing a busy road. The inverse of that of course is that some people specifically seek out corner houses because they have bigger back gardens. Estate agents will upsell and seek to get a higher price for a corner house with a bigger garden but for my mate he defintiely wouldn't buy one facing down a long entrance road.

Then same mate was chatting to a neighbour a bit down the road who lives in a cul de sac with a turning circle. He also suffers light pollution problems as cars to a full 360 turn. The cul de sac isn't as busy traffic wise so he can live with it but it can be a bit of an annoyance.

So do others consider the location of a house when buying in an estate?

I personally hate it when someone writes an essay as a first post. Who has time or interest to read all that !Just had to say that.

I think most people do consider the location of where their buying.

Why would you quote it if you are the first person to reply, seeing as you hate it so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Yes of course I would factor it in.

In fact, the current property we are in, we had no great interested when we viewed the ad online but when we physically went to see it the location within the estate immediately sold it to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

There’s a house in my estate that faces directly in onto a T junction, every morning at about 6:15 my headlights shine onto/into it.

I’d hate to live in that house.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

There is a house opposite the exit to my estate and I always think they must be driven mad by the lights from cars constantly shining in their front window. I'd definitely not consider a house in that sort of location if I was moving.

Edit: Poster above got in there first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I personally hate it when someone writes an essay as a first post. Who has time or interest to read all that !Just had to say that.

I personally hate when the first reply quotes the whole of the first post, especially if it's an essay type post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I personally hate it when someone quotes the entire first post. And if you didn't have the time or interest in the topic why did you click in to just have a moan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭SteM

amcalester wrote: »
    There’s a house in my estate that faces directly in onto a T junction, every morning at about 6:15 my headlights shine onto/into it.

We rejected a house for this exact reason. Bought a different house on the estate a few months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I'd say it's a matter of preference tbf. As you say, many people will go for a corner house for the bigger garden, and they will command a higher price (potential to extend etc) Personally, we were burgled in a corner house before. The burglar opportunisticly just went around the side of the house, which obviously wouldn't have been an option with regard to a mid terraced house. So it's probably fair to say terraced houses are more secure than detatched/semi detached. However different people would assign different weights to different criteria.
    Personally, I've never minded living on busy streets. In fact, I like the hustle and bustle of it. However, I do realise that is something which most people would be annoyed by. It's all relative really.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

amcalester wrote: »

A house facing the top of a t-junction sounds like an awful location, Id say the car lights wreck their head
    SteM wrote: »
    We rejected a house for this exact reason. Bought a different house on the estate a few months later.

Fair play for having the foresight to do so. I'd say a lot of people just fixate on buying in a certain estate and buy the first thing that comes up in it. Depending on location doing so could turn out to be a mistake that you have to live with for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Many people consider orientation and won't but a house with a Southerly aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Many people consider orientation and won't but a house with a Southerly aspect.

Absolutely - it wasnt something that bothered me as Im not much for sitting out in the sun or gardening but I know its important for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭jellybear

It's definitely something we considered. We chose our house off the plans a year and 9 months before it was built. We were lucky in that we weren't in a rush. We're not overlooked front or back and have a slightly bigger back garden although we did pay for a bit more for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

I'd never buy an end house. Much easier access for burglary, kids could be kicking footballs against the wall of the house or garden or hanging out beside the house if there was green area to the side.

If I had kids myself I would be buying in a cul de sac - cars would be driving slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Our house faces a t junction and are ever really bothered by car lights tbh. Wouldn't see them early in the morning so it's really only the bright evening when the curtains are open that I would notice them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Dovies wrote: »
    Our house faces a t junction and are ever really bothered by car lights tbh. Wouldn't see them early in the morning so it's really only the bright evening when the curtains are open that I would notice them.

Also burglars have no cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I personally hate it when someone quotes the entire first post. And if you didn't have the time or interest in the topic why did you click in to just have a moan?

more humour please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I lived in two houses in the same estate. One was at the end of a cul de sac, with a green in front and field behind. It was pleasant and peaceful but you were at risk of having your oil stolen. The other was near the entrance and had noisier neighbours and the back garden and rear of house was visible to several other houses. It was very secure as a result of that but it was a bit uncomfortable. I was considering buying the former. Wanted to leave the latter as soon as I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Have lived in three houses in different estates. Always in a cup-de-sac. We’ve been lucky each time - quiet, peaceful & with decent neighbours.
    I’d never buy a house on a main road in an estate. The constant traffic would drive me mad & even in housing estates drivers speed on the main roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'd never buy in a housing estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Why would you quote it if you are the first person to reply, seeing as you hate it so much?

How would a poster know they're the first to reply? They're could have been 100s of replys before.

I'd rather live on a busy street than in an enclosed estate.

Clue: if there are no other posts when you click "quote", there is a high probability that you are the first person to reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kfagan10

bluelamp wrote: »
    I'd never buy an end house. Much easier access for burglary, kids could be kicking footballs against the wall of the house or garden or hanging out beside the house if there was green area to the side.

If I had kids myself I would be buying in a cul de sac - cars would be driving slower.

This, so much. The side of my house has the only flat green area in the estate adjacent. I love winter because the incessant noise of kids playing football on the green, and kids booting balls off my gable wall is non existent.

In summer it's a disaster. The green is huge, yet they insist on playing right beside my kitchen window.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

I'd never buy in a housing estate.

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I live in a bit of a rough estate but we’re up the top away from the shops, pub etc and in a quiet cul de sac with about 16/17 houses, we’ve a small green beside us and no houses along the road past the cul de sac so tons of extra parking for visitors. It’s certainly something I’d consider if we sold up and moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

We live in a smallish estate with two sections of squares with a large green area in the middle of each. We live down at the bottom of one of the squares so generally the only traffic we get past our door is from the 8 house on our row. The flip side of that is that all the kids gravitate towards playing outside our row of houses cos it’s quiet for them. Doesn’t bother me now as we have kids ourselves, but used to drive me bonkers pre kids. No such thing as a lie in when there’s kids roaring outside your house on a weekend morning!

So it’s something to consider that for every plus there’s a minus!

Advertisement