Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS advice

Options
  • 08-02-2019 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I'm looking at buying one of the following and asking for advice on which is the best option please.
    Garmin Approach G10
    Bushnell Ion Watch
    Bushnell Phantom

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

I have the Bushnell Ghost which is the previous version of the Phantom

Works very well, readout info is limited to basic distances, but I like that. Picks up whatever course I am on well, sometimes a tad slow while initially searching, but its never been an issue really.
    Main playing partner uses a laser device and the distances seem to concur for the most part.
    Only minuses I would suggest are

A. The menu buttons are rubberised and the push action isnt very positive; sometimes one is not sure if a function button has 'clicked' if you know what I mean; I think the Phantom has fixed this though, the buttons now look like hard plastic which I imagine are much better.

B. Settings default to yards almost every time it is powered on; but you can never be sure initially, as the display doesnt state yards or metres, just a numerical distance. Randomly it sometimes stays in metres.
    I think in metres and it is frustrating to not have a clearer indication of which system, metric/imperial, the device is showing. Only a few button/menu presses to confirm, just a small bit annoying.
    I think ideally you should be able to select your preferred measurement unit and leave it like that.

Decent unit though all round. I think the new Phantom version has a magnet at the rear to attach it, I wouldnt depend on that only, I can imagine it getting bumped off while negotiating the 'off road' sections of the course :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

I have the S20 and a Bushnell Z6 Jolt. I have had the Bushnell for much longer, but eventually sought the convenience of a watch. I find for 95% of the time the watch is all I need. The laser stays in the bag most rounds now, only coming out for a tricky distance to a hazard or if a hole has been redesigned and the watch has not been updated with the latest data.

The S10 is basically the same as the S20, so that would be my recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I have Garmin fenix 5 that I got for less than 300 which is awesome upgrade with all the extra functionality. And is a great looking day to day watch

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

kenkin wrote: »
    I'm looking at buying one of the following and asking for advice on which is the best option please.
    Garmin Approach G10
    Bushnell Ion Watch
    Bushnell Phantom

Thanks in advance

I haven't used any of these but would you consider using an app like Hole 19 or Golfshot etc. and just getting a phone holder for your bag?

I use Hole 19 and this holder - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078S554N4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - If you have an android or apple watch then you see the distances on that also. With the map view on the phone app you can get distances to everything on the course so this is very handy.

Anyway, just a suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

Garmin Approach G10
    Bushnell Ion Watch
    Bushnell Phantom

Thanks in advance

Do you have a an Apple watch or Samsung gear watch? if so the hole19 works excellently on these and is free. I used a rangefinder before getting my Apple watch and since using hole 19 I hardly ever use the rangefinder anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

I have used a Bushnell Neo Ghost and a Bushnell V2 rangefinder. For me that combo is perfect as I prefer not to wear a watch and the ghost provides the basic distances front/middle/back plus distance to other points. The default setting is yards but if set for metres it will stay that way unless it looses battery power in which case it returns to default yards and you have to change it back to metres after recharging. I use the rengefinder where I want a precise distance to the flag where it might be hidden behind a bunker, for distance to a temp green in winter, new green or distance to other hazards. You can pick up a used Bushnell rangefinder/laser for around €100

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Thanks everyone for the replies. I had never heard of Hole 19 before. Will have a look at it. I presume you need mobile data for it to work

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

Thanks everyone for the replies. I had never heard of Hole 19 before. Will have a look at it. I presume you need mobile data for it to work

Yes. The app works by downloading a map of the course you are playing and showing distances from where you are standing to the front, middle and back of the green. it shows on your phone screen which you could mount to a holder on your trolly or if you have a smart watch then it may be able to sync with that. For a free option I find it excellent and well worth trying out before you spend big money on a golf specific watch, etc.

https://www.hole19golf.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

Not on the course, it uses GPS. You do need to download the course to your phone initially but you can do this anytime and only need to do it once. You need data/wifi after the round as well to sync your round and save your stats but again, that can be done anytime.

I have the bushnell ion, can't really fault it depending on length of rounds you could get 3/4 rounds outs of it, preloaded with 30000+ course yet to play one that isn't mapped on it but I'm sure it will happen someday. Find it more accurate than when i used hole19 but to be fair i would still probably be using hole19 if i hadn't gotten ion as a birthday present.

• Advertisement
Advertisement