Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOT coffee served here

Options
  • 07-02-2019 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Far too hot. Has anyone noticed in the last few years there's loads of places serving almost boiling hot coffee?

Often it's so hot you can hardly hold the cup let alone drink it; ice seems to be the best solution. When you do question the barista the response is invariably disinterest or bemusement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Chelon wrote: »
    Far too hot. Has anyone noticed in the last few years there's loads of places serving almost boiling hot coffee?

Often it's so hot you can hardly hold the cup let alone drink it; ice seems to be the best solution. When you do question the barista the response is invariably disinterest or bemusement.

Yes I have

Either oversteamed milk or just plain old water that's too hot

I usually send them straight back

• Registered Users Posts: 34 psydereyes

Any of the natural bakery shops in Dublin I have been to consistently serve boiling hot cappuccinos!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I suspect it is because it is easier for customers to allow their drink to cool than to wish it were hotter.

Hate getting not hot enough boiling water in restaurants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I steam milk consistently to 65C and from time to time get complaints that the coffee is 'too cold' and get plenty of 'can i get that extra hot' comments.

You really can't please them all, it seems. I'm just preparing it as it is meant to be prepared, and hoping people can appreciate that you can taste coffee when it's not burning your tongue. It's an old Irish notion of 'scalding hot teas and black coffees' that hasn't quite shaken off.

The milk will cool down, but it's not going to taste as intended and the texture breaks down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

Any flights planned in the future, you will probably be better getting ryanair, I dont recal them serving tea/coffee, or maybe I just dont bother on the flights I get.

Personally if the quality is going down/the interest in attention to detail non existant Id suggest take your custom and money elsewhere, personally I think coffee/tea is excessively over priced so I rarely purchase, Ive noticed a few coffees Ive gotten lately are more water and too hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

It's on a par with how a lot of the pubs serve beer ie just thrown at you with little care. In Italy I was once told "don't serve it boiling because it bruises the milk". I'm no expert but even when it cools the coffee doesn't taste right, it's been ruined. Even in so called quality places like Avoca and Donnybrook Fair they are serving it red hot quite often

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭limnam

Don't think it's a recent thing

Pretty much the way it's always been in the majority of places

Thankfully "these days" we have a lot more options for quality coffee served correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

psydereyes wrote: »
    Any of the natural bakery shops in Dublin I have been to consistently serve boiling hot cappuccinos!

Yes!
    Had one there last week in the Baggot street branch and for the first time ever I had to put cold milk into my cappuccino. Can't understand why they are doing that.

Baristas have told me that when they make the coffee there is only one setting for temperature, this can't be changed so the only solution is cold water or ice. Anyone know if that's true?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Not true unless it's a fully auto bean to cup jobbie which are best off avoided. Any decent coffee steams the milk manually using the steam wand.

• Advertisement

Not true unless it's a fully auto bean to cup jobbie which are best off avoided. Any decent coffee steams the milk manually using the steam wand.

More a question of how hot the coffee itself is - I normally order Americano (only because you can't get decent filter in most places)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The temperature of extraction on an espresso machine can be altered by a few degrees but this is to optimise the espresso. An americano, as I'm sure you know, is an espresso topped up with just-off-the boil water so the resultant temperature is not that adjustable at all.

The likes of this may mean café's pay more attention to brew temperature. I've had my mouth burned a few times by cappuccinos even though I always request 'not too hot'. It's very painful.

He spilled the drink over himself on an Aer Lingus flight, claimed and got €70k. Madness.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/boy-who-claimed-hot-chocolate-burn-on-aer-lingus-flight-settles-for-70-000-1.3785973

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Chelon wrote: »
    Even in so called quality places like Avoca and Donnybrook Fair they are serving it red hot quite often

I wouldn't really class the above 2 as being quality for their coffee IMO. I know the likes of 3FE or The Bald Barista seem to get it spot on for me every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

It's most definitely an Irish thing.

When you steam milk too hot the proteins break down and the milk will loose it velvety texture. It will also loose its natural sweetness.

Generally places serving good coffee will be aware of this and steam milk accordingly.

As for the temp of the espresso itself, generally machines should be set somewhere between 92 & 94 Celsius. The water added to make an americano will be much the same temp if added directly from the espresso machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

mfceiling wrote: »
    I wouldn't really class the above 2 as being quality for their coffee IMO. I know the likes of 3FE or The Bald Barista seem to get it spot on for me every single time.

I really wouldn't class the Bald Barista as being quality coffee either. I remember asking Buzz about the makeup of his blend and he actually didn't know!! Granted this was the guts of 10 years ago and maybe things have improved there since.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I really wouldn't class the Bald Barista as being quality coffee either. I remember asking Buzz about the makeup of his blend and he actually didn't know!! Granted this was the guts of 10 years ago and maybe things have improved there since.

Definitely must have improved. Was working nearby and kinda got to know him (expensive habit!!)....He was fairly knowledgeable about all things coffee and was more than happy to chat about it.

mfceiling wrote: »

I agree, it's always been a mystery to me how both can take such pride in their food but fall down on the coffee quality. Though in fairness Avoca do serve filter in the cafe (not takeaway I don't think).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,872 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Irish people, generally, are obsessed with scalding hot beverages. I guess people working in cafés are tired of properly made coffee being handed back as too cold.

Irish people also tend to want their white wine over chilled and their red too warm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

....and the dinner plate white hot.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I never rated the coffee in the Bald Barista either. The previous incarnation of the Aungier Street shop had nicer coffee. The place was run by a nice lady called Ruth.

There are so many good coffee shops in Dublin now.

• Advertisement

Irish people, generally, are obsessed with scalding hot beverages. I guess people working in cafés are tired of properly made coffee being handed back as too cold.

Irish people also tend to want their white wine over chilled and their red too warm.

Spot on, as well as all the craft beers in the pubs chilled to "Heino degrees" so you can't taste a thing but let's not digress lol

Advertisement