Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight Paths

Options
  • 07-02-2019 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Is there a way to check the flight paths over Dublin and at what times they are suppossed to be used and to check if planes are turning too early over populated area instead of flying out the further or at too low an altitude?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Ozarks1 wrote:
    Is there a way to check the flight paths over Dublin and at what times they are suppossed to be used and to check if planes are turning too early over populated area instead of flying out the further or at too low an altitude?

Where are you located that you are noticing aircraft flying where they shouldn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

545 complaints in January 2019 from one individual in Ongar. Jesus Christ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭john boye

robbie1876 wrote: »

*cough* check OP's post history *cough cough*

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A similar situation in the UK of bulk reporting by one person turned out that they were automating it off schedules and they ended up sending reports for flights that never operated. Not saying that's happening here though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Ozarks1 wrote: »

Noise Abatement Procedures including published runway selection priorities are published in section 2.21 of this document

Bear in mind, ATC are entitled to issue instructions to aircraft contrary to these procedures where they deem it necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

You can buy some tinfoil in the local shop for your new hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭plodder

You can check the actual flight paths taken on flightradar24.com. With a cheap subscription you can check back in time quite a considerable period.

Not sure where or how you would find out whether they were the routes supposed to be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

plodder wrote: »
    You can check the actual flight paths taken on flightradar24.com. With a cheap subscription you can check back in time quite a considerable period.

Not sure where or how you would find out whether they were the routes supposed to be taken.

I believe altitudes on flightradar are given based on standard pressure settings so you would need to make a correction based on the actual barometric pressure at the time to get a correct altitude reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Should probably have checked out those flight paths and the airport location before you bought the house OP!

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I believe altitudes on flightradar are given based on standard pressure settings so you would need to make a correction based on the actual barometric pressure at the time to get a correct altitude reading.
    Is it not based on the aircraft own flight data as broadcast through ADS-B?

Is it not based on the aircraft own flight data as broadcast through ADS-B?

Yes, but based on standard pressure.

faoiarvok wrote: »
    well whatever it's based on, it's the same data that ATC gets, and if it's good enough for ATC, then I'd say it's good enough for the OP :)

well whatever it's based on, it's the same data that ATC gets, and if it's good enough for ATC, then I'd say it's good enough for the OP :)

ATC systems correct the received data for the reported QNH though

faoiarvok wrote: »
    ATC systems correct the received data for the reported QNH though
    I see. Is there likely to be a significant difference then at Dublin? ~70m above sea level....

... or have I already answered my question? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I see. Is there likely to be a significant difference then at Dublin? ~70m above sea level....

... or have I already answered my question? :)

Nope. You didn’t answer your question.

Difference could easily be a few hundred feet on any given day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Why do you ask? Are you the person who made all those complaints from Ongar?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Occams Razor seems to indicate so...........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Our transponder readout is the same as our altitude indicators which are based on a set pressure, either QNE/QNH/QFE.

I would have thought that FR gets that same altitude

• Advertisement

Associated the OP with someone in Ongar which was wrong. I apologise.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

smurfjed wrote: »
    OP have you tried setting up a decibel recorder on your phone to justify the claims?
    Im thinking someone who complained 545 times in 31 days isnt going to be interested in something like objective proof.
    Comment directed at the complainant rather than the OP of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

I had to google the location of ONGAR, I would be very surprised if an aircraft was making more noise that the N3 motorway.

OP have you tried setting up a decibel recorder on your phone to justify the claims?

Of course they haven't. They're too busy making spurious complaints to have the time to do something logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ozarks1

Not me ! Just enquiring really if there was a way to know at what times the different flight paths are used or does it vary and if they stick to the flight paths.
    I had to google the location of ONGAR, I would be very surprised if an aircraft was making more noise that the N3 motorway.

I dont think I made any claims, just a question around how the flight paths are used. I have better things to do with my time then sending hundreds of complaints. I didn't even know about those reports. But thanks all for jumping on me for asking a simple question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The flight paths used depend on weather, wind, runway in use( which can change at any time) and the ultimate destination of each aircraft after takes off. In recent times, a lot of the older flight paths were deleted or changed and now the approach and departure routes are sometimes shorter to save time and fuel. As an example, aircraft approaching Dublin from the direction of the Irish Sea, North or South take a turn inland to join the approach glideslope for Runway 28, closer than they used to. They don't fly over any housing and save time and fuel, compared to the old routine of joining much further out. Operations are also different for slower turboprops , which will fly at a lower altitude than jets, as they climb up to the altitude they will use enroute. Turboprops will also turn onto heading earlier than jets, which often have to climb to a minimum height before they can turn onto their headings. Noise is a constant consideration for all commercial aircraft and most airports operate some kind of noise restriction; the aircraft must climb to a minimum height over certain areas, must reduce power and climb at a shallower angle, may not operate into or out of certain airports after certain times and even in some cases, may not land or even make an approach after certain times. Aircraft are also restricted from operating near bird sanctuaries, military training areas, areas of outstanding natural beauty and other special sites unless they are over a minimum altitude.

Our transponder readout is the same as our altitude indicators which are based on a set pressure, either QNE/QNH/QFE.

I would have thought that FR gets that same altitude

Transponder transmits the level based on standard pressure, this is then corrected by ATC systems to the local QNH for display on screen. If it transmitted the level based on a possibly incorrect pressure setting, both yourself and ATC could be working off the same mistaken information. Transmitting based on standard pressure allows ATC to spot a discrepancy while checking your Mode C on contact.

Reading through our manuals, it says noting about the transponder only transmitting the altitude based on "standard" pressure.

"The DADC processes the air data inputs and provides digital and analog outputs to the: * ATC Transponders

Then we have...

The tuning adapter provides an interface between the transponder control unit and the TDR-90 transponder by
    converting the control unit ARINC 429 serial data into the format that the transponder requires. It also provides
    an interface between the DADCs and the transponder for pressure altitude data conversion.
    "

Do you have reference on this that i can read?

Do you have reference on this that i can read?

Not the most readable document, but ICAO Annex 10 Volume IV
    3.1.1.7.12.2.2 The information pulses shall be automatically selected by an analog-to-digital converter connected to a pressure-altitude data source in the aircraft referenced to the standard pressure setting of 1 013.25 hectopascals.

Note.— The pressure setting of 1 013.25 hectopascals is equal to 29.92 inches of mercury.

Thanks for the "light" bed time reading :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

robbie1876 wrote: »

Obviously someone obsessed by this issue, with an average of 17/18 complaints per day. The ironic thing this is that 10/28 has been operational for a very long time before the Ongar area was built.

Advertisement