Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade old wireless PhoneWatch GE. 3rd party monitoring?

Options
  • 07-02-2019 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi all,

An elderly relation has an older monitored PhoneWatch system that's gone kaput (panel keeps resetting, display goes haywire intermittently). I think it's a GE Concord (it has 2 tallish aerials on top and a touch pad on the front panel). It's fully wireless. It also has a separate GSM communicator in a large metal box.

Anyway. I'm wondering what might be the best system to replace it with with the following in mind:

1) I'd like to re-use the existing wireless sensors and perhaps the GSM communicator.

2) I'd still like professional monitoring. Are there any 3rd party monitoring companies (ARC companies?) that will monitor whatever system I may get - and do so for a non professional like me? I remember seeing them a few years ago but they seem to have dissappeared..

3) I'd also like a self monitoring GSM/internet/app option.

4) This person is elderly. Apart from the above general alarm condition monitoring I'd like to have the ability to use the IR sensors to "monitor" movement and ideally if movement isn't detected between certain times when it would be expected, that the system sends an alert/text/notification to another family member (i.e. this would be seperate to a typical "full" alarm condition that would go to the ARC. It would be active even when the alarm wouldn't be "set"). This person already has a seperate standalone "panic button" pendant setup, so this (IR movement monitoring) would really be to supplement that.- AND BTW, If anyone knows of a "smart" product/setup that could do this seperatly of any alarm system I'd be happy to know about that too.. (There's wireless internet in the house..)

I've installed SigNET and GSD systems before, wired, wireless etc. and have set up GSM on the Signet and Internet on the GSD so I'm not too concerned about installation complexity.

Tx!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

Pauley2 wrote: »
    Hi all,

An elderly relation has an older monitored PhoneWatch system that's gone kaput (panel keeps resetting, display goes haywire intermittently). I think it's a GE Concord (it has 2 tallish aerials on top and a touch pad on the front panel). It's fully wireless. It also has a separate GSM communicator in a large metal box.

Anyway. I'm wondering what might be the best system to replace it with with the following in mind:

1) I'd like to re-use the existing wireless sensors and perhaps the GSM communicator.

2) I'd still like professional monitoring. Are there any 3rd party monitoring companies (ARC companies?) that will monitor whatever system I may get - and do so for a non professional like me? I remember seeing them a few years ago but they seem to have dissappeared..

3) I'd also like a self monitoring GSM/internet/app option.

4) This person is elderly. Apart from the above general alarm condition monitoring I'd like to have the ability to use the IR sensors to "monitor" movement and ideally if movement isn't detected between certain times when it would be expected, that the system sends an alert/text/notification to another family member (i.e. this would be seperate to a typical "full" alarm condition that would go to the ARC. It would be active even when the alarm wouldn't be "set"). This person already has a seperate standalone "panic button" pendant setup, so this (IR movement monitoring) would really be to supplement that.- AND BTW, If anyone knows of a "smart" product/setup that could do this seperatly of any alarm system I'd be happy to know about that too.. (There's wireless internet in the house..)

I've installed SigNET and GSD systems before, wired, wireless etc. and have set up GSM on the Signet and Internet on the GSD so I'm not too concerned about installation complexity.

Tx!

All depends on the sensors. Some Concords where used in the upgrade of the older classic system meaning some sensors could be the 319 frequency.
    If its a full 433 installation then you could replace the panel with a UTC advisor panel with them sensors, just make sure you get a 433 bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Pauley2

Thanks,

I'll take a closer look at the sensors and see if I can identify them when I'm there during the week.

Does anyone have any suggestions re 3rd party 24/7 monitoring services?

Not being able to find an independent 3rd party might limit me to one company's panel offerings etc. which I'd rather avoid...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

Pauley2 wrote: »
    Thanks,

I'll take a closer look at the sensors and see if I can identify them when I'm there during the week.

Does anyone have any suggestions re 3rd party 24/7 monitoring services?

Not being able to find an independent 3rd party might limit me to one company's panel offerings etc. which I'd rather avoid...

The Concord system can be maintained and monitoring set up by any installer, its the newer system that is the issue.

Advertisement