Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle and UE Megaboom Wireless Speaker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

Its the Megaboom... not megabox. There's a newer model out and this older model usually sits around 110-120stg or so recently depending on the colours (they've had some horrible mess of colours for 89stg for a good while but this is the black one today). The saving is no way as impressive as they make out (and no Camelx3 to show it up) but don't think it has been cheaper than this.

I've a megablast which is similar. They're decent for picnics, beach parties etc. Can go louder and bassier than youd expect. Thing with this model is you can't get a charging base as far as I know so if you want to have it on constantly you gotta turn it upside down, open a little door that protects the charging port and plug it in. This makes it a bit fiddly if you want it as a kitchen speaker or other small room speaker.

If you do get it probably worth grabbing the Amazon input for 15 on top of it to make it a fully fledged Alexa smart speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I got this model Megaboom for the youngfella for Xmas and the sound is unbelievable from it. It has reviewed on many sites as the best Bluetooth speaker on the market.

The charging port isn't anymore of an issue than charging your phone. Plug it in at night and it's good to go for a few days.
    For this price it's definitely worth it. For the full price I'd get the Megaboom 3 for its improvements. But honestly great speaker for this money. I've lots of other speakers in the house to compare it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Any thoughts on my question in bold? Want to pull the trigger before midnight.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Any thoughts on my question in bold? Want to pull the trigger before midnight.....

8 Gb is loads. I've that exact model and also a 4gb one in the house and they both have plenty of books and no issues with space. Maybe if your listening to audio books it might fill up quicker.
    A quick Google says the 8gb model can hold 6000 books at once is that enough;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

iamtony wrote: »
    8 Gb is loads. I've that exact model and also a 4gb one in the house and they both have plenty of books and no issues with space. Maybe if your listening to audio books it might fill up quicker.
    A quick Google says the 8gb model can hold 6000 books at once is that enough;)

Ta! Literally just off google and several review pages and was going to go for the 8GB. Don't listen to audiobooks so no need for the 32GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

The 8GB is down to €119.99 in Argos and Currys.

Anybody know if that is the ad-free version? Then it would be slightly cheaper than £109.99 from Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Popeleo wrote: »
    The 8GB is down to €119.99 in Argos and Currys.

Anybody know if that is the ad-free version? Then it would be slightly cheaper than £109.99 from Amazon

£99 now on amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Thats the version with ads in it.. for €112... the ad-free is around €125

I bought the original paperwhite kindle from argos a few years ago and it didn't have ads.
    I see on argos uk that they say " Includes personalized special offers and sponsored screensavers." but thats not on the irish argos listing...

Also Ive no idea what the storage size on my one is but I've yet to have any storage problems... reckon its probably less than 8Gb... and I've scads of books on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I've had the Paperwhite with ads for the last few years and you literally only ever see the ads on the lock screen or integrated with library/shop.

They don't ever interrupt your reading so I personally wouldn't pay the extra for the ad free version.

• Advertisement

vidapura wrote: »
    Thats the version with ads in it.. for €112... the ad-free is around €125

I bought the original paperwhite kindle from argos a few years ago and it didn't have ads.
    I see on argos uk that they say " Includes personalized special offers and sponsored screensavers." but thats not on the irish argos listing...

Also Ive no idea what the storage size on my one is but I've yet to have any storage problems... reckon its probably less than 8Gb... and I've scads of books on it...

If you ask Amazon nicely they remove them for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Raoul

I've had the Paperwhite with ads for the last few years and you literally only ever see the ads on the lock screen or integrated with library/shop.

They don't ever interrupt your reading so I personally wouldn't pay the extra for the ad free version.

yeah exactly. Not intrusive at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

been looking to pull the trigger on the Kindle Paperwhite for a while. Is it worth the money? £99 is tempting

kod12 wrote: »
    been looking to pull the trigger on the Kindle Paperwhite for a while. Is it worth the money? £99 is tempting

I found that the screen quality can vary from unit to unit. I remember when i first bought one I sent 3 units back in a row because the brightness was uneven on the screen but in hindsight maybe I was being a bit picky. I got fed up sending them back and stuck with the fourth one. Now I dont even notice or bother if the screen light isnt perfectly uniform and it certainly doesnt take away from my reading experience.

I bring mine with me everywhere and use it most days so its a no brainer for me. Kindle books can be bought cheaply if they arent new releases and there are loads of sales on all the time. If you have digital books that are a different format its easy enough to convert them into the right format.

Then you have the likes of Netgalley if you review books online at all. You can sign up and request digital copies of books in advance from publishers for free to read and review. Of course the publisher can reject your request as well as accept but its a great way of getting books in advance and for free. They also have a "read now" section which the books can be read by any member straight away.

The other thing about the Kindle, apart from being able to carry hundreds or even thousands of books around with you, is the portability and convenience of it. It will fit into a jacket pocket very easily so if you are going out and undecided whither to bring a book with you or not with the kindle you can bring it easily if you are undecided. With a physical book you may leave it behind.

Also the front lit screen doesnt strain the eyes at all and of course is readable in all light situations including darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

brilliant thanks for that. Have you used kindle unlimited service yet and how does audible work with the kindle?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

adox wrote: »
    If you ask Amazon nicely they remove them for free.

I bought a paperwhite on an Argos sale a few years back & Amazon got rid of the ads for me no problem when I asked them.

kod12 wrote: »
    brilliant thanks for that. Have you used kindle unlimited service yet and how does audible work with the kindle?

Thanks

Havent used either service to be honest.

Advertisement