Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC Radio 5 live in Ireland.. how?

• 06-02-2019 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭

How can I listen to BBC radio 5 live on my phone? Every link I find to it is geo blocked. Must be available somewhere surely to god? I have it on the Sky box at home no bother

Comments

The BBC radio iPlayer app is available to Ireland. You can also click on a link to any BBC radio station on http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/iphone_player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭jrmb

How can I listen to BBC radio 5 live on my phone? Every link I find to it is geo blocked. Must be available somewhere surely to god? I have it on the Sky box at home no bother
    The online feed is blocked when they don't have international radio rights to air an event. You should still be able to get it on Sky, Freesat, Virgin Media or medium wave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

jrmb wrote: »
    The online feed is blocked when they don't have international radio rights to air an event. You should still be able to get it on Sky, Freesat, Virgin Media or medium wave.

Yeah thats it, it gets locked once the premier league matches start. I got a British VPN. Hope this works

At least BBC Five Live have a disclaimer telling you that the sport is blocked for rights reasons, unlike talksport which just goes silent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I don't know if it works on phones but you can control radio receivers online. You will hear the actual signal being received at the remote site. Quite a few in England. Medium wave frequencies are 693, 909 and 990 kHz. 990 is a low power transmitter in Wales. Wide AM mode.

https://sdr.hu/?q=england

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭turbocab

I don't know if it works on phones but you can control radio receivers online. You will hear the actual signal being received at the remote site. Quite a few in England. Medium wave frequencies are 693, 909 and 990 kHz. 990 is a low power transmitter in Wales. Wide AM mode.

https://sdr.hu/?q=england

it can be heard quite well on east coast of Ireland on 909khz or 990khz and 693 khz as well

turbocab wrote: »
    it can be heard quite well on east coast of Ireland on 909khz or 990khz and 693 khz as well

OP is asking how to listen on their phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

OP is asking how to listen on their phone.

That SDR suggestion is a good one! Dxhound, do you find that the KiwiSDRs work on mobile? I've tried a couple of London ones just there which work great on PC - crystal clear 5 Live but the display gets mangled when I go mobile. Twente can manage mobile (auto detects) but no joy so far on the Kiwi ones.

Simon

On my phone I hear whatever signal is there, but I can't use the display to change frequency. Might work better on some other phones. The Twente receiver gives good reception of 5 Live.

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

i use a free to air sat box to listen to bbc radio 5 live,talksports etc,was just listening to the city match tonite on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Is TuneIn any use to you, OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Is TuneIn any use to you, OP?

No. Its Geo blocked even on tune in.

I downloaded an app called "open vpn" . set my VPN to united kingdom an now it works through tune in. Much simpler than I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭logonmar

Has anyone found a way around listening to BBC Radio 5 Live

I keep getting the message re rights.

Have tried Tune In via Alexa, Radio Garden site and many others and had no success

When I changed my VPN to a UK address it made no difference either

Any suggestions on how I might once again listen to 5 Live?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Even with a UK VPN address you might have issues, as some addresses are also blocked. The addresses are updated regularly.

Some VPN, mostly those who you have to pay for, really seem to work.

I think that this Geo-blocking of Radio 5 is only recent. I am also surprised that it's also in Ireland. Normally Ireland is exempt from all this regulation.

603 and 909 on MW are a good choice. The signal even makes it to Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Seems to be blocked all the time now in the middle of the nite

Never was until recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Finding the same. Currently using a VPN and listening via bbc sounds app.

Hassle but only way it is working at the minute.

If you use a VPN it seems that tune in radio doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭logonmar

I pay for Cyberghost VPN and had no luck via that route either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Is talking about VPN's ok here on Boards ok ? They are legal, I think. I have My Expat Vpn for about a year now ( it's a subscription one ), always works for UK stuff, just tried Five Live now and playing perfectly, no geo blocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭tinytobe

There is nothing really illegal about geo blocking or paying a VPN service. ( Unless there is a board rule never ever to speak about VPN services ) You're just a paying customer. With a VPN you're just doing to comply, you're basically from an IT perspective "tunneling to the UK" and connecting from there to whatever you want to connect to. Or let's say in the end you're connecting directly to the UK, not via an Irish or other foreign IP address.

Some companies have to block certain IP addresses from connecting, the reasons for that might be different ones. And some companies are paying a service to block certain IP addresses from connecting, or blocking even certain IP addresses from connecting within that country. Thus even paying a VPN service might not solve the problem. Some are better than others.

I hope this explanation makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭ratracer

It works fine on TuneIn app for me ( iOS) Just checked them to make sure. I don’t have any VPN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭lertsnim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭vinnielo

It's an app-free player.

No need to download / install additional clutter.

Advertisement