Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query

Options
  • 06-02-2019 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any experience of wanting a relationship but at 33 having no idea how to go about getting one? I've had dates with assholes, nice guys etc but they never lead anywhere. Now I know a lot of these are to do with me and ,my barriers; I've worked a lot on myself in the last few years, so I'm fully aware of my fall downs.

I went to counselling, have been advised I don't need cpd. Tried holistic methods, self help etc but I just can't seem to overcome this last step.

I do know a lot of my issues stem from sex and having no experience, for some reason its held me back since I was a teenager.

Sorry for the ramble, so any advice or programs to help? Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Does anyone have any experience of wanting a relationship but at 33 having no idea how to go about getting one? I've had dates with assholes, nice guys etc but they never lead anywhere. Now I know a lot of these are to do with me and ,my barriers; I've worked a lot on myself in the last few years, so I'm fully aware of my fall downs.

I went to counselling, have been advised I don't need cpd. Tried holistic methods, self help etc but I just can't seem to overcome this last step.

I do know a lot of my issues stem from sex and having no experience, for some reason its held me back since I was a teenager.

Sorry for the ramble, so any advice or programs to help? Thank you

Just posting to let you know you are not alone. I am male, 40 and caught in a similar position.
    I stepped away from dating for a period and feel now that I don't know how to.

All I can tell you are the normal things of focus on enjoying your life, try and do things which give you joy and that hopefully it will lead to a connection with someone.

That's what I'm trying. Any day now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Ok. Everyone is normal in their own way. You admit that you have barriers but allow a person who really has no clue about you say you don’t need CBT (I’m presuming that’s what you meant by cpd). Now I am not saying you do but you need to break down these barriers in a healthy way.

Most of life’s problems stem from sex but that doesn’t mean that people can’t have a meaningful relationship. Don’t label guys as aresh0les or good guys as most people are a mixture. You are you. Go for it. Have good days and bad days. That’s what’s living. Don’t allow anyone to rule your life. Jump in. Get wet. Have fun. That’s life.

Advertisement