Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubeless & repair kits

Options
  • 06-02-2019 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm about to go tubeless with my roadbike. I have GP 5000 TL's on the way along with sealant & syringe.

My question is, when I'm out riding, should I keep a repair kit on the bike for particularly big punctures? I've never had one, so I'm not sure.

Love the option of a dynaplug micro pro - http://www.dynaplug.com/bike.html

.. for quick repairs. It's pricy.

Maybe I just need to bring a tube.

What's the usual

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

My MTB is tubeless and I used Stans sealant in them. I used to carry a spare tube just in case, and needed it once when I ripped a big hole in a tyre - too big for the sealant to plug

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

I've bought stans sealant alright.

I suppose for a road bike, it's unlikely to ever have such a big cut that you need plugs, so maybe the tube is the backup I need. But then, with a tube, I'd need a way to take out the tubeless valve.

Maybe I need a plug kit, like the dynaplug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I had a plug kit, but never used it. The valve unscrews easily enough and doesn't need to be overtightened to seal properly

I had a plug kit, but never used it. The valve unscrews easily enough and doesn't need to be overtightened to seal properly

They are the best kits. The ones you never need.

Only once have I seen someone have a genuine blow out on a road bike tyre, requiring a new tyre.

I might be expecting the worst going tubeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

I’ve run road tubeless on a rough 30km commute and have only been brought it a hault once with a flat in 10,000km. It was about the 10th one in that tire, a large piece of glass and I had ran out of sealant from the other flats. I was near the LBS and they sorted it. I don’t bother to carry spares. But to answer OP if you do you take a tube you might need a multi tool to take the tubeless valve off.

So I’ve got 99.5% confidence on my rides. I will buy some of those rubber plugs and get a small
    Screw driver and that will be my backup in future. If I keep the sealant topped up I’ll be grand. You lose about 10% of it your average puncture so keep counting them as they happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

One time I punctured on tubeless there was a sidewall tear and the repair kit would not have worked as it was too big. Was near home but now carry a tire patch which in theory should work in combination with a tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

"Anchovies" type of plug all the way for me. The current rear tyre carries maybe 4 or 5 of them... :) Instant repair, no need to take the tyre off, just install, pump up and go.

Something in this manner: https://road.cc/content/review/183575-genuine-innovations-tubeless-tire-repair-kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

Alek wrote: »
    "Anchovies" type of plug all the way for me. The current rear tyre carries maybe 4 or 5 of them... :) Instant repair, no need to take the tyre off, just install, pump up and go.

Something in this manner: https://road.cc/content/review/183575-genuine-innovations-tubeless-tire-repair-kit

Rose sell it in a handy kit similar to the Dynaplug (but much better value)

https://www.rosebikes.com/genuine-innovations-tubeless-tackle-repair-kit-2669914

Alek wrote: »

I saw this tool kit, but would be concerned bringing a screw driver type tool around on the bike in case of a crash and it stabbed me.

Rose sell it in a handy kit similar to the Dynaplug (but much better value)

https://www.rosebikes.com/genuine-innovations-tubeless-tackle-repair-kit-2669914

This looks similar to the dynaplug one alright. What do you use to cut the plugs when in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I saw this tool kit, but would be concerned bringing a screw driver type tool around on the bike in case of a crash and it stabbed me.

Secure it with a wine cork.

I'm serious :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

AlanD wrote: »
    This looks similar to the dynaplug one alright. What do you use to cut the plugs when in?

You don't trim them - they wear down to the tyre surface as you ride. That goes for a road bike - not sure what an MTB tyre needs.

See pic

See pic

Nice one.

What are the things to the right of the bag?

Nice one.

What are the things to the right of the bag?

A spare tubeless valve and an adapter for taking the head out of the tubeless valve so that sealant can be poured through it

A spare tubeless valve and an adapter for taking the head out of the tubeless valve so that sealant can be poured through it

ah right!

And do you also carry sealant with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

tidy

Haven’t had to use it yet though.

ah right!

And do you also carry sealant with you?

I don't but plan on getting a small bottle for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

Lezyne always do it with style Now I have to buy another nice bit of kit I hope I never use

Haven’t had to use it yet though.

Hopefully never

Advertisement