Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to carry out Speedtest ?

Options
  • 06-02-2019 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Having an issue with my FTTH with Eir 500Mb
    Eir Support wanted me to do a wired Speedtest before they would log the fault and send an engineer out.
    Have a MacBook Pro with no RJ45 port.
    Eir advised getting a loan of a laptop to carry out wired test.
    Borrowed a laptop this evening and was only getting c.50Mb wired.
    Spoke to Eir Support.
    They wanted me to be wired and then connect wirelessly at 5GHz to do the test.
    Surely he should have asked me to switch off the wireless in order to do the test over the wired connection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭ACLFC7

Doesn't Eir only sell 150, 300 and 1000Mbps speeds?
    Is the laptop you borrowed quite old? You need to check if the laptop has Gigabit Ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭joebre

ACLFC7 wrote: »
    Doesn't Eir only sell 150, 300 and 1000Mbps speeds?
    Is the laptop you borrowed quite old? You need to check if the laptop has Gigabit Ethernet.

They gave me 500 for the same price as the 300.
    Laptop was couple years old. No idea if Gigabit Internet.
    I thought it had to be connected by cable and that you should switch off the wireless on either the laptop or router to get wired test result.

Press "Windows" and "X" key -> "Device Manager" -> "Network Adaptors" and check if you see something called Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

Laptop was only on loan.
    Was on to Eir support again this morning.
    She confirmed that wireless should be off to be sure of testing over the wired connection.
    They were making a big thing that the cable between the wall and the router should be Cat 6.
    Told her mine was Cat 5e and was supplied by them late last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

joebre wrote: »
    Laptop was only on loan.
    Was on to Eir support again this morning.
    She confirmed that wireless should be off to be sure of testing over the wired connection.
    They were making a big thing that the cable between the wall and the router should be Cat 6.
    Told her mine was Cat 5e and was supplied by them late last year.

Cat5e is fine. There is no 500Mb profile so they could not have sold it to you even if they wanted to.

Are you registered for Myeir? If so log into https://my.eir.ie/login
    and it should tell you what package you are on under "Your usage so far this period"

Edit: Apparently there is a 500Mb profile.

• Advertisement

Cat5e is fine. There is no 500Mb profile so they could not have sold it to you even if they wanted to.

Are you registered for Myeir? If so log into https://my.eir.ie/login
    and it should tell you what package you are on under "Your usage so far this period"

Went online and found this !
    See screenshot.

Went online and found this !
    See screenshot.

You're the first person I've ever heard of that has such a package. There is no mention of it in any of the eir pricing documentation.

What speed do you get on your Mac connected to the 5GHz network? Test it in the same room as the router.

5Ghz 230 Down 96 Up

2.4GHz 56 Down 88 Up

5Ghz 230 Down 96 Up

2.4GHz 56 Down 88 Up

That seems pretty normal. You'll really need a higher spec laptop or desktop with a gigabit Ethernet connection to max out your connection.

If all your devices are wireless it may be better to downgrade to a cheaper package when your 12 months are up.

Those tests were carried out on a new MacBook Pro.

• Advertisement

Those tests were carried out on a new MacBook Pro.

Yeah but it is using WiFi. Either the router's WiFi or the MacBook WiFi radio is limiting the connection. Probably the router to be honest.

One thing to try is login to the router.

Go to Home Network > Wireless Settings > Advanced Settings

Under the 5GHz Frequency band set 11n/ac bandwidth to 80MHz and guard interval to short. Save. Put MacBook into Airplane mode then reconnect and test speed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If your main device is essentially a netbook (even my 11" tablet has ethernet :pac: ) you do not need 500Mb. Downgrade to 150Mb and save a buck.

ED E wrote: »
    you do not need 500Mb. Downgrade to 150Mb and save a buck.

He could have got 500Mb on a good offer. I tried to order 150Mbps for €36.99 but the offered me 300Mbps for the same price.

I know they probably offered me that hoping that after 12 months they'd have me on the €75pm and that I won't bother downgrading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

The MacBook would unlikely be the issue they're using a good chipset and support 802.11ac

EdgeCase wrote: »
    The MacBook would unlikely be the issue they're using a good chipset and support 802.11ac

It's a bit of a minefield as some of the fourth gen MacBooks are 2x2 while some are 3x3. The F2000 is ac 3x3 but only with 64-QAM. I've seen similar 230Mb on 5GHz on a 300Mb connection. I'm not sure the router is capable of much more.

One thing to try is login to the router.

Go to Home Network > Wireless Settings > Advanced Settings

Under the 5GHz Frequency band set 11n/ac bandwidth to 80MHz and guard interval to short. Save. Put MacBook into Airplane mode then reconnect and test speed again.

Is was already at 80 Mhz.
    Changed Interval from Long to Short and Saved.
    My MacBook Pro has no RJ45 port so no point in putting into Airplane Mode.
    Wireless speed test @ 5GHz showed 252Mb Down and 96Mb up.

Is was already at 80 Mhz.
    Changed Interval from Long to Short and Saved.
    My MacBook Pro has no RJ45 port so no point in putting into Airplane Mode.
    Wireless speed test @ 5GHz showed 252Mb Down and 96Mb up.

The airplane mode was to make sure the MacBook reconnected to the new wireless settings. I have just tried an iPhone 7 plus on my 300Mb connection. The router can't even max out the 300Mb on WiFi, I got similar to you with 230 - 240Mb speeds. I think that is the limit of the router. You'll have to buy a better router if you want to max out your connection on WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭talla

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Not necessarily true.
    There does appear to be some issues with the wireless chipset on the 2018 macbook pro.
    Came across this thread on the synology forum while researching their routers, links out to various reddit discussions with macbookpro wifi issues.

In the case linked, the poster reverted back to a 2017 macbook pro which resolved the slow wifi issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

There is no 500Mb profile so they could not have sold it to you even if they wanted to.

There is no 500 Mbit/s profile with OpenEIR, but that doesn't prevent the retail ISP from making up their own packages.

Or it may be a product outside of the scope of the regulated products.

As for speedtests: no ISP will validate your tests if done over wireless. So a wired test is always required. If your PC/Laptop doesn't have a RJ45 port, you can always use an external ethernet adapter. Make sure it's a good quality one. Some of the cheap USB ones are crummy. And yes, wireless should be turned off on the laptop for the test.

With Wifi there is just too many unknowns.

/M

• Advertisement
Advertisement