Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Keep or Sell - 2011 Audi A5 Sline

Options
  • 04-02-2019 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi,

I purchased a 2011 Audi A5 Sline 2.0TDI in November 2018. The night before I went up to look at it, someone reversed into the driver side door with a hitch and made a
    nicely sized dent. Doesn't affect door opening and closing and is pretty low down.

Because of this and it's relatively high mileage (170,000mi), I got it for €9000 which is good for one of these. In the meantime I have got timing belt kit done (€480), 4 tyres (€340), service (€280), fan belt (to be done this week, haven't got a price but probably be around €300 give or take), and new discs and pads all round (€370) due to vibration whilst braking at high speeds. Clutch will probably have to be done in the next 6-12 months I reckon.

Replacing these seemed to have stopped the vibration for about a month until it returned recently, but only intermittently so my guess is bushings/CV joint/bearing, which means more money.

And this is all without getting the door fixed, which I'm having a hard time sourcing a second hand door in the right colour as getting it fixed could be tricky as dent is quite deep.

This is, all in all standing at nearly €10,800. I have the NCT due in June and I have it booked in early for the 15th of February. A part of me thinks I should sell it straight away after getting door fixed if it passes the NCT as I'm not having a lot of faith in the car and don't want to end up losing a fortune due to depreciation. I have no problem affording the work that needs to be done but am I mad to keep pumping money into it?

Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

What would you buy in its place? It's a high miler for sure and can't see it being an easy sell in around what it stands you

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

What would you buy in its place? It's a high miler for sure and can't see it being an easy sell in around what it stands you

Not entirely sure, I do like the A5's alright. I would consider a 3.0TDI Quattro. I don't do massive mileage either, probably be lucky to hit 250/300 miles in a week so would consider a petrol A5 as well as I wouldn't really need a diesel. It's trying to decide what to do is the issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

Other than the "vibration came back" issue(probably a sticking caliper warping your discs or cheap discs warps because they are cheap) and door, is there anything else you don't like about the car ?

I don't see the point of selling this one at loss and buying another unknown one with potential tear and wear items waiting for next owner to be honest.

Fix the brakes and door at once and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I wouldn’t buy anything till you sell it. I wouldn’t be surprised if you aren’t bothered or prepared to sell it for the money you get offered ...

You won’t be murdered on depreciation on a ten k car ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You've already sunk a chunk of cash into it, you may as well drive the thing for a bit, you only have the car 3 months.

An 8 year old car with already moderately high mileage won't depreciate vastly over the course of a few months or a year. You likely won't make your money back on it anyways after the repairs you've done too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement