Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Flannan’s College or Colaiste Muire?

Options
  • 04-02-2019 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My family and I will be returning home to Clare after 11 years living in the US. One of our daughters will be starting secondary school (1st year) in September.

She has been offered a place in St. Flannan’s and Colaiste Muire. We are still waiting to hear from the Community College.

We are out of touch with the education system in Ireland so we are unsure which school to choose. I remember when Flannan’s was a boarding school for boys, that’s going back a fair few years.

We plan on visiting the schools in the coming weeks but I would appreciate any advice you might have that would help us choose the best school for our daughter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭8mv

We've had three girls go through Colaiste and had no problems whatsoever. Very good and caring teachers and admin staff. I'm sure Flannan's is just as good, but I have no experience of dealing with them. It seems Flannan's have a greater emphasis on their sports program, if that is one of your criteria.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Both schools would be excellent and have great records but academically and sporting, the Community College is doing great as well and will be getting a huge redevelopment in the next few years.

Personally, as she's not going to know anyone I would a co-ed school would be better for her to get to know the area but I'd also say that where you will be living will have a big impact, if you are close to either school it'd be madness not to go there cause traffic can be a nightmare in Ennis in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FromClare2Here

8mv wrote: »
    We've had three girls go through Colaiste and had no problems whatsoever. Very good and caring teachers and admin staff.

Thanks for your input 8mv. Are there any negatives to attending an all girl school? I would have a slight concern about bullying/bitchiness primarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭8mv

Thanks for your input 8mv. Are there any negatives to attending an all girl school? I would have a slight concern about bullying/bitchiness primarily.

Of course, kids will fall out sometimes but nothing serious. Maybe we were lucky, but I always found the kids were very supportive of each other.
    As for it being all-girls - I don't know really - my girls knew boys as friends around where we live, so I don't think it had any adverse affect.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Bear in mind that subject choice for Junior and Leaving may mean that others in their year are not in their class so ability to Mix will be important.

if you are close to either school it'd be madness not to go there cause traffic can be a nightmare in Ennis in the mornings.

If the child is not going to walk then traffic will be an issue.
    Pick the most suitable in terms of access.

As posted above Flannan's has a strong sporting ethos.

Regarding academic choice its a toss up.
    You as the parent are the primary educator so you will need to ensure they are up to speed not the teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Balagan1

If your daughter has been in a co-ed school it may not be easy to change to an all girls school. St. Flannan's and the Community College are both co-ed. St Flannan's changed to co-ed in about 2002 - it is a very large school, in excess of 1,000 by now I'd imagine. From first hand experience I think the transition from the US School ethos and atmosphere may be very much smoother if she were to go to the Community College which has developed into an excellent school. Anyway, you will be able to visit and weigh up all the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Rice College is coed too

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Balagan1

branie2 wrote: »
    Rice College is coed too

You're right! I didn't mention it as the OP mentioned just St.Flannan's and the Colaiste as being where her daughter has been offered a place and were waiting to hear back from the Community College. Rice College used to be very precious on insisting on giving priority to children of alumni, and naturally, to those who had come up through their primary school. Don't know if that is still the case.

Advertisement