Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best camera to replace smartphone

Options
  • 04-02-2019 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions for a compact camera for someone who doesn't use a smart phone. I stopped using a smartphone about 2 years ago but the only thing I miss is the camera.

I looked at the canon powershot but someone was explaining to me that the cameras in smartphones are better than the point and shoot cameras which leaves me in the predicament of putting € into a camera which is not going to be as good as a smartphone?

Comments

..... someone was explaining to me that the cameras in smartphones are better than the point and shoot cameras which leaves me in the predicament of putting € into a camera which is not going to be as good as a smartphone?

a perfectly respectable Sony Xperia L+ with a 12MP main camera can be purchased from Tesco mobile for 109.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

a perfectly respectable Sony Xperia L+ with a 12MP main camera can be purchased from Tesco mobile for 109.99

Thanks but I don't want to use a smartphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I know very little about them but this may be of use. I know a family member was recently weighing up the pros and cons on it for a purchase.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/best-point-and-shoot-cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Phones can trump expennnnsive DSLRs in high contrast situations with some clever digital image processing but if you're willing to shoot RAW you can match them in post.

RX100 Mk2 is a little beast.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

I have the Sony RX100 and it’s a great camera. At this stage you have 6 RX100 models to choose from but the early ones are a good price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think the right camera can better with fast action and poor light than most camera phones. Also the mic might be better on some cameras and you might have mechanical zoom instead of digital.

Of course it depends how expensive the phone and camera are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

If you want to take snaps (holidays, events etc.) then a phone is fine. If you want to be more creative then a DSLR or mirrorless camera would be better. A compact point & shoot falls in the middle.

For snaps I would suggest a smartphone, no SIM and leave in airplane mode.

For a DSLR or mirrorless I would have a look for a second hand deal on places like adverts.ie

Advertisement