Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Cable TV in our flat next door with main house multiroom STB?

Options
  • 04-02-2019 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭

Might be a grey area and if so ignore this.

We own a main house and a shop unit with flat above in the adjoining property. This flat has been rented out to non family members in the past. However, my brother will be moving into it with his fiancee in a few months. We'll be sharing our main house wifi with the flat regardless.

My question is this. The previous tenants also had a Digital Cable TV connection with the same provider as us and their COAX line is from the same 'Tap' as the main house. Is there any Technical reason why my brother cant take his current multiroom STB from his bedroom in the main house and simply connect it to the existing cable tv point in the flat (which remember is on the same TAP as the main house)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

After a bit of thought on this one well allow discussion on a provisional basis. This doesn’t negate any general view that taking an STB from one property to another is against terms of service. However if the two properties are actually one partitioned property it may be possible to ask VM to merge them back to being one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

He can do that with no issues. Once the box is connected the same tap or another tap along the same line it all reports back to the same RF port and therefore still registers as being in the same place.

No need for VM to merge anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

He can do that with no issues. Once the box is connected the same tap or another tap along the same line it all reports back to the same RF port and therefore still registers as being in the same place.

No need for VM to merge anything.

Cool. Thanks, that's great info. Its what I suspected but wanted to be sure. Sorry for not getting back to thank you sooner. (Have reply notification turned off)

Our VM yearly sub is already €2000+

Advertisement