Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to do with a written off car?

Options
  • 04-02-2019 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, not sure is the insurance forum more appropriate for this but I think it relates to buying or selling more.

Was involved in a light crash last week, liability most likely mine and other driver involved will probably claim off my insurance.

My own car is an 06 golf, front bumper and hood took a bit of damage, both would need replacing for sure. I also have a 1000e excess on the policy ( was under the impression it was 500e but regardless). I was told by insurer I only have to pay the excess if I decide to claim on the damage to my own car, but considering the car is probably worth <1500 even after fixing I don’t think it’s worth my time claiming for a few hundred (if even).

So my question is, what do I do with this golf? I was looking into buying a new car regardless so I think I’ll just purchase one in cash myself, i doubt any garage would even look at it for trade in value. Could I offload this car for cash somewhere?

Is there any companies that take cars in this condition eg breakers/scrappers? And if so am I going to get more than a couple of hundred for it? Car does have NCT until May and taxed til Apr.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Squatman

throw it up on donedeal for 500 beans, accept 2-300

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

domrush wrote: »
    Hi folks, not sure is the insurance forum more appropriate for this but I think it relates to buying or selling more.

Was involved in a light crash last week, liability most likely mine and other driver involved will probably claim off my insurance.

My own car is an 06 golf, front bumper and hood took a bit of damage, both would need replacing for sure. I also have a 1000e excess on the policy ( was under the impression it was 500e but regardless). I was told by insurer I only have to pay the excess if I decide to claim on the damage to my own car, but considering the car is probably worth <1500 even after fixing I don’t think it’s worth my time claiming for a few hundred (if even).

So my question is, what do I do with this golf? I was looking into buying a new car regardless so I think I’ll just purchase one in cash myself, i doubt any garage would even look at it for trade in value. Could I offload this car for cash somewhere?

Is there any companies that take cars in this condition eg breakers/scrappers? And if so am I going to get more than a couple of hundred for it? Car does have NCT until May and taxed til Apr.

Have you had it priced how much it would be to get the car repaired yourself rather then claim?

Had a very similar scenario last year, was looking to replace my 05 Clio in the following year anyway before I had the, minor, crash at Christmas time.

Went down the route of a scrappage deal for €4,000 off a new Hyundai i30. Obviously depends on your circumstances if this would be a viable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Notch000

you might get the parts cheap off a scrap yard, bumper and bonnet are very easy to replace. or else as abouve advertise for a couple of hundred and take the first good offer ou get, may well suit come one in a simliar position looking for a replacemtn engne or rear end parts.
    Yuo can also call a scrap merchant to get it destroyed. Yuo might get up to 100E scrap value. not sure what that would be now ??

• Registered Users Posts: 51,203 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You don't have to replace the bumper and bonnet with new parts. As said you can get replacement parts from a scrap yard. You might have to search for the bumper/bonnet in the same colour but those Golfs are so common I'd say there is a good chance of finding what you need in your colour.

It's currently only worth around €100 tops as scrap value. Any of these cash for cars places will offer you about half that. If you have time and space to break it for parts then you will get more for the parts individually but there are drawbacks to that too. You might get €200/€250 for it by sticking it up on donedeal as is with open to offers.

Advertisement