Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CamelCamelCamel Offline

Options
  • 04-02-2019 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi folks
    Not sure if everyone's aware but it looks like 3Cs had some pretty serious hardware issues over the last week or so and the service is currently down while they are resolved.

They've shared that the cost of new hardware & data restoration is nearly $45k! :eek:

Anyway, given all the money folks in BA have saved down the years by using 3Cs, some of you might fancy throwing them a few bob to help with the cost of getting things back online.

Details here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭Invincible

Use keepa.com
    Do you believe CCC aren't making any commission?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Use a different service....xD that's the power of the internet for you. Should never do anything decent as people are just the worst! No thanks for anything, regardless if they make money or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

That sounds so fishy.

I know data recovery is expensive, but $30,000 to recover data from any one of 3 hard drives seems extremely expensive, especially since the alternative was to simply use a older backup file for free, which would have been inconvenient, but hardly the worst thing in the world.

I also find it suspect that 3 hard drives failed at once. It does happen, but hard to believe.

I might be missing something, but their replacing 12 hard disk, plus 2 spares. Why is that going to cost them $14.000.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

Thor wrote: »
    That sounds so fishy.

I know data recovery is expensive, but $30,000 to recover data from any one of 3 hard drives seems extremely expensive, especially since the alternative was to simply use a older backup file for free, which would have been inconvenient, but hardly the worst thing in the world.

I also find it suspect that 3 hard drives failed at once. It does happen, but hard to believe.

I might be missing something, but their replacing 12 hard disk, plus 2 spares. Why is that going to cost them $14.000.

A Chicken and Egg Situation the buying team can't decide if they deal they saw on Amazon for new disks is the best deal they could get, or if the price had been lower ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

garion wrote: »
    Hi folks

Anyway, given all the money folks in BA have saved down the years by using 3Cs, some of you might fancy throwing them a few bob to help with the cost of getting things back online.

Details here.

No thanks. They're a company making money. They can fund it themselves.

This trend of giving money to things/people better off than you just makes a fool out of you.

They wouldn't release revenue either on reddit. Clearly they're making a load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Sappy404

To be fair they're not really asking for money, just facilitating people who might offer to help:
    We don't expect our users to cover these bills, but we do appreciate any and all help with them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah this doesn't add up for me. They should replace all their disks and configure their raid array properly for more redundancy, but I cannot see how that is costing so much. If they are going down the route of sending the failed disks to a recovery company as they are too far gone then maybe, but I would have questions of how worthwhile that is. I didn't even know you could create an account with ccc...

I didn't even know you could create an account with ccc...
    I did it years ago to get email price alerts. It's saved me a lot of money, whatever algorithms amazon uses for pricing can be very wacky at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

On his AMA on reddit a year ago he stated that their income was from "Primarily affiliate marketing, but some ads too"

He also said "we had our millionth user registration in December 2016; and sorry but I won't be answering questions about our revenue or other incredibly confidential info"

I'd have thought they would be making enough to cover that bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

I did it years ago to get email price alerts. It's saved me a lot of money, whatever algorithms amazon uses for pricing can be very wacky at times.

Anyone can get email alerts on a product - no registration required.

• Advertisement

Sappy404 wrote: »
    To be fair they're not really asking for money, just facilitating people who might offer to help:

That's how they want you to think. What difference would it make if they did ASK for money directly? None.

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    On his AMA on reddit a year ago he stated that their income was from "Primarily affiliate marketing, but some ads too"

He also said "we had our millionth user registration in December 2016; and sorry but I won't be answering questions about our revenue or other incredibly confidential info"

I'd have thought they would be making enough to cover that bill.

There's guys making millions from affiliate marketing alone, nevermind these guys who have hundreds of thousands of users, have had mainstream exposure and are in partnership with Amazon. It's without doubt a multimillion dollar enterprise.

EDIT: This isn't a bargain alert either so the thread should be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Just bough 2, bargain of the year at this price. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

This is not a BA. Please delete thread

Thor wrote: »
    That sounds so fishy.

I believe their disks are 4TB 860 Pros. Approx $1k a piece. So indeed it will cost $14k to replace them.

Whether that is a wise or cost-efficient setup is another matter.

If they are paying $30k to recover data from their old array then presumably their backup is far older than they are willing to admit.

It all seems a bit odd and/or fishy. It could just be that they are incompetent. Lots of these outfits start out as guy in his bedroom and as they grow they are terrified of breaking something so they just keep running a half-assed prosumer server with poor practices and hope for the best.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement