Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar or coombe?

Options
  • 04-02-2019 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with mullingar maternity? It would be closer to me (less traffic also) but had my last baby in the coombe.
    Had great care Up until i has the baby butTbh I wasn’t too impressed with the condition of the place after I had him.
    Very short on nurses/carers and im pretty certain the cleaners didn’t have a clue what clean is especially in the bathrooms.
    Had to be readmitted due to negligence on their behalf and now I’m in a dilemma.
    I’ve read that if anything goes wrong you’ll be sent to Dublin but I’m so reluctant to trust them to care for me properly this time.
    Mullingar is closer to my home and easier to get to but i don’t want that to be a decider in my decision making . I also know going to the coombe a second time I would be a lot more forceful in insisting on being looked after .
    Any advice/insight would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I would go to the Coombe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I do know people who have been to both, have had ok experiences.
    Honestly if my choice was between a maternity wing in a regional hospital and a big dedicated maternity hospital....I'd go for the Coombe.I had an experience a bit similar to yours after my first in the Rotunda, but went on to have two more there and there was no comparison.Every birth is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I had my girl in Mullingar, and going back there for no. 2. I chose it over ballinasloe, even though I'm way way closer to ballinasloe. Ive never been in any of the Dublin maternity hospitals, so can't compare. But I've had no issues with Mullingar at all. The maternity wards are in the 'new' wing, the post natal public wards are 4 bed ensuites. Visiting in post natal is very very strict, strictly grandparents only and only during set visiting hours (your partner and other kids are allowed in most of the day day, except mother and baby hours which I think are between 1&4 or something along those lines). For me this was a good thing, it may not be for others though. My worst experience with staff was with the lactation consultant, but on the flip side I had a couple of absolute gems looking after me on the ward.
    I can't comment on labouring as I ended up having an emergency section so went straight from examination room to theatre. Pm me if you have any questions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Coombe. I’m currently pregnant (although I’m absolutely wrecked and hope the baby will arrive sooner rather than later) with my third baby and not for anything would I have a baby anywhere other than a) a major dublin hospital and b) imho the Coombe is the best of them.
    Last time around I got very sick towards the end of my pregnancy and then as it turned out so did my little boy. He spent several days in the NICU. If we had been in a regional hospital we’d both be dead.

Advertisement