Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lump on puppy

Options
  • 03-02-2019 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

I have a 15 week old lab, this evening I noticed a large lump between her shoulder blades. It looks like a dislocated shoulder but she’s in no pain at all and is her usual playful self. I felt around and can feel both shoulders so it’s something else, a little right of center. I separated the hairs and can find a hard clump if hair in the spot but have no idea what this could be. It looks awful and appeared suddenly.
    I’ll bring her to the vet in the morning but does anyone have any ideas? It doesn’t seem to warrant an emergency trip seeing as she doesn’t seem to be in pain but a little worrying all the same. To add background, she was very sick from 10-12 weeks with pneumonia so I’m a little worried that she’s used to being in pain and just not reacting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It’s possibly just from where she had an injection so try not to worry too much - they can have some swelling. Put a dab of Vaseline on the clump of hair (I’m guessing it’s a scab) and it should just slide off in the morning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

Agree with above either vaccination lump or if she was on injectable antibiotics for pneumonia then it could be from that, I wouldn’t worry unless it becomes hot and hard - an abscess.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Worried2019

Thanks both for your replies. I brought her to the vet this morning and they said the same that most likely it’s from all the injections she had or that she got pricked by a thorn or something that caused an infection underneath as you can see the hard lump on her skin which could be where something stuck in to her. He gave a few days antibiotics incase of the second one and We just have to keep an eye on the size and make sure it’s not bothering her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Thanks both for your replies. I brought her to the vet this morning and they said the same that most likely it’s from all the injections she had or that she got pricked by a thorn or something that caused an infection underneath as you can see the hard lump on her skin which could be where something stuck in to her. He gave a few days antibiotics incase of the second one and We just have to keep an eye on the size and make sure it’s not bothering her.

One of my dogs developed these after having injections after an op. I of course panicked but at the follow up the vet said that it's likely she is just very sensitive to any foreign bodies and that it was her body's way of reacting to protect itself. Hers wasn't infected or anything but took a number of weeks for it to completely go. She had a follow up op too and developed the same again around the injection site.

Advertisement