Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension

Options
  • 03-02-2019 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I am currently rly on the verge of buying a house that already has an extension to it . I want to extend the back of the house fairly basic just make big kitchen dining room and utility room. I am hoping to apply for planning as soon ass I go sale agree. The house has no side entrance so it will be messy . Who do I get to draw plans and would a flat roof with skylight be inferior and cheaper than a traditional roof how much approx for plans . The house needs a rewire should I do this before the extension or during

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭newirishman

Get an architect to have a look at it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Thank you - to look at the house before I buy

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

How much do you have for all works ?

It’s hard to say I have around 85 including a kitchen and new windows will need floors too internal doors etc some insulation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Just get an architect to come and look at it. They will be able to tell you roughly how much it will cost and what you will need to do.
    For an extension, an architect will be able to do the plans, apply for planning permission and procure and manage the contractor too if you want them to. Just make sure you get a good one who is on the ball with things.

A properly designed flat roof should be perfectly fine. In some respects they are better. for example, where an pitched roof might interfere with or be constrained by a window or external pipework a flat roof will resolve the issue. It is older flat roofs which were problematic due to poorer or wrong materials being used and little or no insulation.

• Advertisement

Just get an architect to come and look at it. They will be able to tell you roughly how much it will cost and what you will need to do.
    For an extension, an architect will be able to do the plans, apply for planning permission and procure and manage the contractor too if you want them to. Just make sure you get a good one who is on the ball with things.

A properly designed flat roof should be perfectly fine. In some respects they are better. for example, where an pitched roof might interfere with or be constrained by a window or external pipework a flat roof will resolve the issue. It is older flat roofs which were problematic due to poorer or wrong materials being used and little or no insulation.
    Thank you I have the idea that flat roofs cause lots of issues but looking recently a lot of extensions have them . Can you recommend a cheap architect in north dublin Dublin City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I'd be thinking with an architect or engineer or any professional for that matter that you should be putting more emphasis on how competent they are to do your particular job than how chaype they are. You could get a chaype lad who's handy at the aul Revit but they might be useless when it comes to putting together a well thought out and planned design that will work in practice. The professional fee for an architect will only be a small fraction of the overall cost of the project. It would be a false economy to get some chaype handy lad to do it. You'd be taking on a big risk.
    Just google architects in your area, identify ones that do a lot of houses, extensions, small jobs and ask 3 or 4 of them for a quotation for their service. Their brief should include:
    - doing up a few conceptual designs for what you might like and agree one.
    - make an estimate of the cost of the agreed option
    - apply for your planning permisssion and any other consents that might be needed
    - do a a fully detailed design and specification with input from engineers or any other professionals that may be needed.
    - procure a competent and value for money contractor to do the work
    - manage the construction phase and supervise/advise the contractor where necessary.
    - be the assigned certifier and PSDP for the project.

Spending a few quid on someone who knows what they are doing is money well spend as you have the peace of mind that things are being done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The professional fee for an architect will only be a small fraction of the overall cost of the project. It would be a false economy to get some chaype handy lad to do it.
    I agree that professional fees is not a smart area to cheap out. But I think the part in bold above isn't necessarily true. There's a broad scope of services you can receive, and a full service can become a significant cost.
    It's money well spent if it's want you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ajarms86

Just on the Architects fee's OP from working in the industry I think the adverage cost of an architects is around 10% of the build budget (Im open to correction)
    And this obviusly depends on a lot of things, some Architects charge a set fee and some charge by the hour, but like the other replies its money well spent but only if you get a good competent Architect, I would talk to few different Architects or Architectural Technologists and get a feel for the one you think will do the best job

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

Don't forget that engineers are just as useful on new builds and extensions, can certify structural elements as well as the rest of the build and may even be better overall value.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Don't forget that engineers are just as useful on new builds and extensions, can certify structural elements as well as the rest of the build and may even be better overall value cheaper.

FYP :)

Advertisement