Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Higher Executive Officer process?

Options
  • 03-02-2019 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering does anyone know the usual application procedure for an internal Higher Executive Officer position in the civil service?

I searched this thread and could only find posts about External or Interdepartmental competitions. If anyone has a link to a thread for an internal competition in the past, do let me know I'd really appreciate it.

There seems to be some confusion with my colleagues about whether or not the internal positions require the numerical and verbal exams first or if they are just interview/presentation based? I know I can just wait for the official notice to come out but we're all trying to get our preparations started early. I have never done an internal competition before.

Thanks for any info!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Every department will have different requirements.

Personally from all of the Departments that I have worked in I have never heard of numerical or verbal exam for internal competition, just a straight interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Every department will have different requirements.

Personally from all of the Departments that I have worked in I have never heard of numerical or verbal exam for internal competition, just a straight interview.

Thanks Bryan! That's what I figured :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Normally there is no verbal/numerical component to internal comps but the latest internal eo in AGS did have tests which are done in PAS so its not 100% that there won't be

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

The latest internal HEO competion in Revenue had verbal/numerical tests as well. So maybe more departments are moving that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

PCX wrote: »
    The latest internal HEO competion in Revenue had verbal/numerical tests as well. So maybe more departments are moving that way.

Revenue use PAS given their size. It would be impractical to say the least for them to interview every interested EO so they use that approach

In other Departments/Agencies, the numbers are more manageable - however shortlisting is becoming more common since the changes in eligibility occurred a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭TheRoyce

Just submitted the application last week and I'm already eager to hear more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I applied for internal HEO in my previous position. I had to do an initial short interview and presentation (which eliminated some candidates) before processing to a longer, more indepth competency based interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 elbundy

hi i am doing HEO interview. ive never done a public interview before- what type of presentation do they make you do? i have 2 examples for each competency- do they ask 1 question per competency?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

elbundy wrote: »
    hi i am doing HEO interview. ive never done a public interview before- what type of presentation do they make you do? i have 2 examples for each competency- do they ask 1 question per competency?

You can expect multiple questions per competency. The presentation is usualy based around one of the competencies.

Advertisement