Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One pup or two??

Options
  • 03-02-2019 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hi

We are considering getting a Lab or possibly two. Our poor dog (black lab) passed away on the 10th December after cancer surgery. We had him for 8 years and the house is empty without a dog.

We always considered getting another dog as company for him. Now that we are at the point of looking for another pup what are peoples experiences of getting two brother pups or two pups from the same litter? I expect a bit of mayhem anyway with a new pup bit us it double with two?

We have already considered the cost and that's not really an issue.

Any advice, anything we should consider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭volchitsa

anything we should consider?
    This, I think : Littermate syndrome

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

volchitsa wrote: »
    This, I think : Littermate syndrome

Really interesting, never considered that.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Does it have to be a pup? Loads of older dogs (non litter mates) in rescues at the moment looking to be rehomed together due to changes in their family circumstances.

coathanger wrote: »
    Does it have to be a pup? Loads of older dogs (non litter mates) in rescues at the moment looking to be rehomed together due to changes in their family circumstances.

I know, we have had a look and there are some lovely dogs in the rescue centers. It is certainly something we are considering, as well as the guide dog puppy training program.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

I can understand the above syndrome, got two brothers as puppies. One was fiercely independent, the other was a sweetheart. The independent one relied on his brother for everything and although friendly, he was a little aloof compared to his brother.... not to mention a demon, trashing the truck, causing damage everywhere, leading his innocent brother astray by running off... fast forward a year and a half.. the sweet one died from brain cancer...the lunatic changes over night becomes the sweetest most loyal and loving dog I have ever had..not to mention the smartest... miss the sweet one still...was heartbroken when he passed.

We got a new pup ..a half brother...they are inseparable but still rely on each other completely.

My opinion, two are more fun and make double the trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

jjmcclure wrote: »
    I know, we have had a look and there are some lovely dogs in the rescue centers. It is certainly something we are considering, as well as the guide dog puppy training program.

Take a look at dogs for the disabled too. They have the advantage in that the pup is raised like any other pup... guide dogs are quite strict for example the pup isn’t allowed chase a ball and some of their training methods are a bit old fashioned. Guide dogs can also be quite drivey/active by the nature of their intended job compared to an assistance dog who isn’t on the go all the time.

As for multiple pups - no reputable breeder would home two pups together especially same sex pairings - it’s too risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

Agree with others don’t get two the same age, always wait at least two years between pups, two isn’t just double the trouble it’s triple! They need trained separately as well as together so it takes a lot of effort, we rescued years ago now, 4 brothers from an unwanted litter, they were lab x rottie and they were really hard work until they were about 5!! I also kept two pups from a litter and they caused havoc until they were about 3 or 4 as they bonded to each other more than us, they were ridgebacks so ditsy as hell anyway!:D. Plus they were so bonded that when one died the sister who we still have at 13 pined for a year it really hit her badly, she pined far more than when she lost her mother, so I really wouldn’t reccomend it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

We got a 6 month old rescue 2.5 years ago, as company for our old guy who was 14 at the time. We didnt think he had long left but he trucked on til Oct gone, when we was 16. The two of them were pals but operated at different speeds, the younger girl is very high energy, she is a complete sweetheart but very full on.
    So we felt she needed a pal and got a 7 week old pup 2 months ago. He absolutely adores her, and altho he annoys her and steals attention a bit, she loves having him to play, and now hes growing and can keep up with her a bit, she loves that.
    In short I'd always have two and I think a bit of an age gap is good. Young adult dog and pup works well in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Don't do it. My mam got 2 females from the one litter and they cannot be in the same room as they try to rip each other apart. It is an absolute nightmare.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Lots to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

have often kept 2 pups from the same litter myself have never had sibling rivalry problems

but have had slight issues with loyalty to each other when trying to train them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I would never let 2 puppies go to the same home. I won't keep 2 either. One often becomes over dependent on the other. I have 2 brothers here who love each other but they will be separated at 8 weeks. No Reputable Breeder will let 2 go together. Of course some breeds are worse then others but 2 Sibling terrier females will likely try to kill each other at maturity.

mine are springer spaniels knine so they have a great temperament to start with

as for jrt yes have to agree 100% they never give in

males may have a row from time to time but females will kill each other

will keep 2 myself but would never let 2 go together to a new home

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

jimf wrote:
    have often kept 2 pups from the same litter myself have never had sibling rivalry problems

We have two female Rottweiler pups (well 16mts old now) and they stick together like glue, same litter. The mother wanted one and when we went yo see her I got one also, I grew up an only child so that may have been a factor in my decision to get her a sister.

Unfortunately with bitches, they can live together for years without issues & then very suddenly fall out, that could be 2 years or 10. You just never know.

As a result I always separate them if I am going out. I had 2 bitches fall out after 7 years together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Knine, jimf: would you worry about overdependency with siblings?

Knine - as you know I've got one of the same breed, and I would say that my boy is likely very soft and friendly for the breed. He was spoiled rotten before he came to me and he's soft as butter - I couldn't imagine him starting a fight in a million years (for a terrier, he's literally a teddy bear). Not saying that's typical.

The main distraction that affects his obedience is other dogs - he's obsessed. He adores every single foster that comes into my house and is depressed whenever they leave - I can only imagine the co-dependency if he'd grown up with a sibling.

hi choc chip

I can honestly say ive never had the aggression issue myself with siblings

but then again mine are springer spaniels who are more likely to lick you to death than be aggressive or maybe I have been super lucky

but I suppose the best advice don't take the chance unless you really have to

Mostly Borders are very social, males being much more easier going then females. Sibling combinations are not a good idea. Definitely in siblings that do get on, there is a large risk of dependency issues. I have seen 2 of my breed fight & it was almost fatal by the short time I intervened. One has to remember the breed purpose also & that they have the equipment to perform that job. My male loves other males of his same breed. Other breeds not so much.

I also have a gundog breed & any disagreements are mostly hot air.

Advertisement