Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband opinions

Options
  • 02-02-2019 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

So I'm getting ripped off by sky price wise

Can you switch broadband providers like you do gas and electricity or is it more trouble than it's worth?

The options available to me are
    Vodafone (was with them before with no issues)
    Pure Telecom
    eir
    Digiwebb

All are 100mbs

And Virgin media 240 or 360 mbs

Now the speed doesn't overly bother me but it must be stable (I work from home regularly)

Any I should definitely avoid?

Never heard of pure Telecom and while I've heard of digiwebb I've never heard any opinions on them

Don't suppose anyone could advise?

Or for stability am I better off staying with sky? Apart from price I haven't had a single day or minute that it's been down or had problems in 8 years. That's a good record in my book.

Do the others have a high contention ratio? Do they throttle

Should I just stay with sky, maybe it's a case of better the devil you know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

You actually have a lot more options.

All of these: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

Speed is limited by the cable to your house. Not the provider.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Oh didn't know that I used bonkers.ie as a guide. That was probably a rookie error on my part.

Speed doesn't overly bother me, I get 60 at the moment. So once it's stable and I get about the same again I'd be happy

You just hear horror stories of no router it doesn't work for weeks after switching, or I cancel but new crew take 3 months to connect you etc and I can't afford it to be down for even a minute

More I think about it maybe I should stay with sky. For reliability I just couldn't recommend them highly enough.

I'm already talking myself out of any potential savings,lol

Advertisement