Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Roomster

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Has the donedeal one also had the timing belt replaced?
    I have a 2007 Roomster myself and it's getting to the age where things start to go.

Lovely car, great for humping stuff around in. The only trouble is the bloody 'computers' that run everything in them. Have never had an engine issue with it, just electronic controller things for one thing or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 miznomer

Yes, I think he said it was done some time in the last 20k - he said it was marked on the engine, and that it would be good for another 40k or so, I may be misremembering the figures. Does that sound about right?
    He sounds like a smaller player, but I think both of them got them in parcels from bigger dealers - or at least that's their story.
    Do the electronics give a lot of trouble? and is it serious/ expensive?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I had a small issue with the driver's electric window not working, but that morphed into the car randomly locking and unlocking itself, so that controller had to be replaced. It was a few years ago now but of the order of 300-400.

There is a forum called briskoda.net full of handy info where you can see issues other people have had.

That said, I would get another Roomster in a heartbeat.

That's a good recommendation - funny I hadn't really heard of them until a couple of days ago!
    Have you had it from new? - part of the reason for posting is that I've seen some threads here where people have sussed out a potentially dodgy deal/seller that I wouldn't have the experience to spot! So, I'm hoping to get the benefit of people's experience buying privately!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That first one doesn’t give me the right vibe, 5 owners (I’m aware it’s a 12 year old car), reg not shown in ad, bumpers seem to be off another car.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, I'm feeling a bit more reticent about it too, even though it's cheaper and less miles. So, thanks for your input!
    Also, do you think the fact that the other guy has a website, and thus a more established presence/ reputation counts for a lot?

miznomer wrote: »
    That's a good recommendation - funny I hadn't really heard of them until a couple of days ago!
    Have you had it from new? - part of the reason for posting is that I've seen some threads here where people have sussed out a potentially dodgy deal/seller that I wouldn't have the experience to spot! So, I'm hoping to get the benefit of people's experience buying privately!

I bought it in 2011 when it had about 75k on it and we've 250k now. I wanted a car I could carry a fair bit in - dogs, bikes etc. and I haven't been let down by it yet. Beds, mattresses, washing machines, cookers, it has managed them all. It actually had more space inside that its sister car the Yeti.

I know it's a bit peculiar looking, but I see that as a positive. It has the bit of extra height too, so stands out in a car park, among the sea of clone cars.

It's a love it or hate it car I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

miznomer wrote: »
    Ah yes, I'm feeling a bit more reticent about it too, even though it's cheaper and less miles. So, thanks for your input!
    Also, do you think the fact that the other guy has a website, and thus a more established presence/ reputation counts for a lot?

Yes and no. It’s good that the seller has a premises, but don’t expect any sort of meaningful warranty or comeback on such a cheap car.
    I’d rather buy a car off the person who’s owned it for years so that you can gauge how the car has been treated.

I’d have reservations about the 1.4 petrol engine in those, they’re not particularly robust.
    That said, it’s a cheapiah car (not cheap enough IMO) and you should buy mainly on condition and evidence of it being minded.

Ok thanks for all ye're input and advice - it's much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Have a mechanic friend come with you to check the cars over and make sure you get to test drive any car before buying it to listen out for any noises or signs of wear as well as to check the brakes,suspension and steering are working right.
    The first one certainly looks like the bumpers were replaces there is no picture of the second one.

• Advertisement

Thank you - it was two hours away, and longer by the time I found it! So, I got a local mechanic to check it out and he gave it the all clear, i.e., good for the money! Let's hope that proves to be the case!

Advertisement