Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hills Small & Minature

Options
  • 02-02-2019 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭

We feed our 1 year old Cavachon the above food but from reading here people don’t rate the food too well and it’s got me concerned.

Burns is regularly mentioned as an alternative but the first ingredient is rice so that’s putting me off it. If he’s doing well on hills should he be left on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

If you're happy with how he's doing on it, no reason to change it. If what you have heard makes you feel uncomfortable, by all means... research into it!

If we all listened to what people said about every kind of food we can give our dogs, no-one would have a clue what to feed. Some people don't like dry food, some people don't like raw, some people don't like the idea of home cooked meals, some people don't like wet food.

I'm personally liking dry dog food less and less and seeing it as being made for peoples convenience to feed. I still have dry food for my dogs, but I use it more as a topper nowadays, rather than their main meals. I also feed my dogs something different every day, as I don't believe it's normal for dogs to eat the same thing every single day. But see what I mean? This is all from my own experiences and my own research, as well as just some things that I feel are "right".

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

VonVix wrote: »
    If we all listened to what people said about every kind of food we can give our dogs, no-one would have a clue what to feed. Some people don't like dry food, some people don't like raw, some people don't like the idea of home cooked meals, some people don't like wet food.

I'm personally liking dry dog food less and less and seeing it as being made for peoples convenience to feed. I still have dry food for my dogs, but I use it more as a topper nowadays, rather than their main meals. I also feed my dogs something different every day, as I don't believe it's normal for dogs to eat the same thing every single day. But see what I mean? This is all from my own experiences and my own research, as well as just some things that I feel are "right".
    That’s true. We fed Pedigree to our last dog and he lived to 15 so that says something. Raw is not something we will ever do, any play he likes fruit & vegetables as much as he likes meat.

What do you think of grain free foods?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Gael23 wrote: »
    That’s true. We fed Pedigree to our last dog and he lived to 15 so that says something. Raw is not something we will ever do, any play he likes fruit & vegetables as much as he likes meat.

What do you think of grain free foods?

Well, "grain free" is an awkward one. Being grain free doesn't automatically mean it's a good dry food by default. I think we need to look at the bigger picture when it comes to a dogs meal.

I occasionally feed my German Shepherd pasta or rice along with meat and veg, he enjoys it and I have had zero issues with his tummy or his stool. I don't think grains are inherently bad for a dog, but I wouldn't really want it being the main part of his diet.

I think a great way to start understanding what your dog(s) eat, is read the ingredients of their bag of food. If you see something you don't really understand, Google it. For example I noticed on a bag of food it mentioned pea protein and peas separately which didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, that's when I learnt about ingredient splitting. You can end up slipping down a rabbit hole of interesting information.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Advertisement