Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Passports - 2 IEC's?

Options
  • 01-02-2019 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm currently in Canada, waiting to hear back about my PR application (currently approved for BC PNP, could take another 12 months for full PR). The thing is, my current irish passport expires in June which my extension visa is tied to. My new irish passport should be here in a few weeks. I also have an Australian passport, which I've never used for an IEC visa.

What are my options?

A) Get new passport, update my details for my PR application and update my extension visa with my new passport

B) Get new passport, update my details for my PR application. Apply for an IEC with my Aussie passport and activate that before my Irish passport expires. Is this even an option or do I need to apply for IEC from outside Canada?

I have a few weddings towards the end of this year in ireland which I'd love to be able to go to so I'm just wondering which of the above options would be best for being able to leave and come back.

Anyone else here with dual passports able to offer some advice? Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Hi all

I'm currently in Canada, waiting to hear back about my PR application (currently approved for BC PNP, could take another 12 months for full PR). The thing is, my current irish passport expires in June which my extension visa is tied to. My new irish passport should be here in a few weeks. I also have an Australian passport, which I've never used for an IEC visa.

What are my options?

A) Get new passport, update my details for my PR application and update my extension visa with my new passport

B) Get new passport, update my details for my PR application. Apply for an IEC with my Aussie passport and activate that before my Irish passport expires. Is this even an option or do I need to apply for IEC from outside Canada?

I have a few weddings towards the end of this year in ireland which I'd love to be able to go to so I'm just wondering which of the above options would be best for being able to leave and come back.

Anyone else here with dual passports able to offer some advice? Thank you!

Work permits are generally not tied to a passport so you don't need to update on that front (unless the expiration date is set to match the passport details). You would just need to update the PR application with new passport details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Work permits are generally not tied to a passport so you don't need to update on that front (unless the expiration date is set to match the passport details). You would just need to update the PR application with new passport details.

My extension visa is tied to my passport, it expires the same day my passport does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

My extension visa is tied to my passport, it expires the same day my passport does.

Ah ok. You should be able to apply for another extension if you PR app is still in progress. IEC with second passport could be an option but would be more complex - you need to have biometrics done for IEC now afaik which means leaving Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Ah ok. You should be able to apply for another extension if you PR app is still in progress. IEC with second passport could be an option but would be more complex - you need to have biometrics done for IEC now afaik which means leaving Canada.

Ah ok, thanks, didn't realise bios were needed for IEC, thought it was just PR. But yeah that does add an extra layer of complexity to it, maybe I should just stick with the extension. Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement