Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Smell

Options
  • 01-02-2019 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

My Cat (9/10-year-old) decided three weeks ago she would not eat wet food unless it was something new she has not tried before, she does eat the dry food (when she thinks I'm not looking). This is not the issue, but I've never known her to completely refuse her regular food.

I think the cold weather just has her in bed form... Yesterday she went out in the rain and came in stink of cats pee. I mean it was very bad.

I wiped her with wet wipes and a cloth, but the smell is still there (on her skin and bed), is there anything I can do besides washing her? She's would not like that! Anything like that and she has a melt down.

She sleeps in my bed when I'm not home (she does not think I know). And I'm afraid of the smell getting onto my skin/clothes.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

A total wash is the only option I’m afraid, a shower was the easiest thing I found, we had an accident prone cat that always would try and do acrobatic thing like balancing along the water trough only to end up in the pigs wallow below! So the shower was the only option, baths are really hard to do without help and serious gloves!....even then!:D
    Also if she smells of pee maybe worth getting some bloods done or just a basic vet check as she might have a uti, it could just be she got in a fight and wet herself but its better to check especially as they get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

A total wash is the only option I’m afraid, a shower was the easiest thing I found, we had an accident prone cat that always would try and do acrobatic thing like balancing along the water trough only to end up in the pigs wallow below! So the shower was the only option, baths are really hard to do without help and serious gloves!....even then!:D
    Also if she smells of pee maybe worth getting some bloods done or just a basic vet check as she might have a uti, it could just be she got in a fight and wet herself but its better to check especially as they get older.

The pee smell only happened yesterday when she went out so have a feeling it's not her pee...

Thanks for your reply. I just tried to wash her. Would not go into shower. But happily let me wash her with a wet cloth. I didn't think it would go so well!

Your right about the trip to the vet... I have to wipe her bum now too so either age or something else..

Thanks again for responding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Just a thought - if you're having to clean her bottom now too, could it be that she is having an issue with the constantly changing wet food? Sort of a catch-22 - something is going on with her tummy, so she'll only eat 'new' foods, so she has a reaction to the constantly changing food, so her poos are affected?? Might definitely be worth a visit to the vet to rule out a tummy issue?

seems some cats like a warm bath - cant imagine trying one with my two - but if my long haired cat has a runny poo and make a total mess of her bottom area, when I clean her up with baby-wipes, she actually seems to not mind and seems to know that Im helping her out :D:( (yuk)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

aonb wrote: »
    Just a thought - if you're having to clean her bottom now too, could it be that she is having an issue with the constantly changing wet food? Sort of a catch-22 - something is going on with her tummy, so she'll only eat 'new' foods, so she has a reaction to the constantly changing food, so her poos are affected?? Might definitely be worth a visit to the vet to rule out a tummy issue?

seems some cats like a warm bath - cant imagine trying one with my two - but if my long haired cat has a runny poo and make a total mess of her bottom area, when I clean her up with baby-wipes, she actually seems to not mind and seems to know that Im helping her out :D:( (yuk)

I took her to the vet and they gave me tablets to give her, she's just finished the course of them, and seems to be much better has gone back on her usual food. They had no idea what was wrong with her aside from a possible tummy bug as all bloods showed up clear. :cool:

Advertisement