Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partial refund of rent

Options
  • 31-01-2019 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I recently moved out of a house I was renting. Proper notice was given and there were no issue with deposit. I noticed looking on my lease that I had paid rent up until the 29th of the month, but I moved out on the 21st. The date was set by the LL - they wanted the property on that date to renovate it before the next tenant.
    Am I entitled to 1 week of rent money refunded? Or is it too late to ask for this now that I've moved out and the next tenant has moved in?
    I realise I should have noticed this earlier and brought it up then!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

If you pay monthly, and your there for part of the month - you owe the whole month.

landlord could not lease his property for that month - he's at a loss otherwise, if you think about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

As the landlord set the leaving date, I'd be looking for a partial refund too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

Graham wrote:
    As the landlord set the leaving date, I'd be looking for a partial refund too.

As would I!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Yeah, landlord set the date so he should refund that portion of the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

IF... if you had called him out on it at the time and paid what was owed and not the full amount this would be fine.

Going back after the fact and trying to re-coup the money already spent and long forgotten by the landlord? you're probably entitled to and could well try but In reality you're most likely gonna end up chalking this one up to life experience and moving forwards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement