Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triple Glazing Velux window for noise reduction?

Options
  • 30-01-2019 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi. I live on a busy road with a lot of foot and car traffic passing the house.
    the bedroom has a velux window, which lets in high levels of noise. i can hear peoples conversations below..

I have looked at triple glazing window. would these have a big impact on combating noise?

https://www.velux.ie/products/roof-windows/special-function/super-sound-insulation

what else can i do to make the room more sound proof from the outside?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Renno123 wrote:
    Hi. I live on a busy road with a lot of foot and car traffic passing the house. the bedroom has a velux window, which lets in high levels of noise. i can hear peoples conversations below..

I'd imagine that the roof is letting in as much noise as the window. I have 2 velux windows in my sitting room. Regular double glazed ones & to be honest it's only the rain hitting the window that bothers me. I'd change to the sound proof version but you can't just swap out the glass as far as I know. I think the whole velux thing has to be replaced. This won't be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'd imagine that the roof is letting in as much noise as the window. I have 2 velux windows in my sitting room. Regular double glazed ones & to be honest it's only the rain hitting the window that bothers me. I'd change to the sound proof version but you can't just swap out the glass as far as I know. I think the whole velux thing has to be replaced. This won't be cheap.

Thanks,

you are probably right about the roof letting in noise. The bedroom is in part of the roof, with attic space above it.

how do you sound proof an attic?

looking at the website, it is looking at about €700 per window

Renno123 wrote: »
    Thanks,

you are probably right about the roof letting in noise. The bedroom is in part of the roof, with attic space above it.

how do you sound proof an attic?

looking at the website, it is looking at about €700 per window

Plus installation I assume

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Vents are likely a culprit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

Who would i consult about this? a builder or engineer?

• Advertisement

Renno123 wrote: »
    Who would i consult about this? a builder or engineer?

Someone good obviously. A good carpenter will do this. A small builder

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@Renno123 triple glazing in general doesn't necessarily have better acoustic performance than double, but that window does look to have been designed with elements (no vents, laminated glass, acoustic insulation in the frame) that makes sense, and has quantified sound reduction claims.

Maybe the lack of vents will help with the dreaded fly infestations too.

Fitting is important though.

Lumen wrote: »
    @Renno123 triple glazing in general doesn't necessarily have better acoustic performance than double, but that window does look to have been designed with elements (no vents, laminated glass, acoustic insulation in the frame) that makes sense, and has quantified sound reduction claims.

Maybe the lack of vents will help with the dreaded fly infestations too.

Fitting is important though.

I agree
    I looked into these before. I think velux have triple glazed windows & soundproof triple glazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jbroaders

Very interested to hear if anyone has swapped double glaze for these “sound reduction” ones. Dreading a winter of no sleep. Actually considering getting the damned thing uninstalled in our dormer bungalow attic bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If the windows are the issue then adding secondary glazing gives much better sound isolation than triple glazing. Usually far cheaper too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

There are videos of this on YouTube. Literally noise playing outside then they put in a double glazed unit. Trip glazed and acoustic glass. Don’t put in triple glazed if the aim is noise reduction , very little difference between that and double glazed. I spoke to a company the other day about acoustic glass in typical window frames , they can just swap the glass. Makes it a lot cheaper. Then Again the frames may need replacing anyway. Also bear in mind , it’s like insulting a house to the max and leaving a door open in winter , the noise or heat protection is only as good as the weakest link!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Rooster86

Anyone have a good experience with secondary glazing ?
    I'm sold on them as the best solution for noise reduction just researching suppliers now.

Advertisement