Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Asus router?

Options
  • 30-01-2019 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads!

Due to a software update borking my AC87U, Asus are replacing my router :)
    Now I can go for the same again, which to be quite honest did the job very well for me for the last couple of years...
    Or I can change to an alternative in and around the same price?

So I'm looking at the following.
    RT 68U
    RT 86U
    RT AC87U
    RT AC3200
    Or I may be able to go higher if I accept a refurb.

So which would ye plump for? and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Out of them I would recommend RT 86U as the rest are quite old or do not get software releases very often.
    Would also recommend asuswrt-merlin firmware
    https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭banie01

jspuds wrote: »
    Out of them I would recommend RT 86U as the rest are quite old or do not get software releases very often.
    Would also recommend asuswrt-merlin firmware
    https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/

I'm leaning towards the ac86u alright.

I'm a longtime user of MerlinWRT ;) and would recommend that, or if using an older Asus router Johns Fork.
    My only real gripe with Asus is that they have locked down Tx power to US/FCC levels rather than allowing regional variance.

That said, their support is 1st class.
    I'd been having issues with random reboots and network drops for a while, put it down to an FW issue and spent a few days flashing alternatives and testing with no improvement.
    Contacted Asus, went through troubleshooting with them and they agreed to replace a 2yr old modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

banie01 wrote: »
    Hey lads!

Due to a software update borking my AC87U, Asus are replacing my router :)
    Now I can go for the same again, which to be quite honest did the job very well for me for the last couple of years...
    Or I can change to an alternative in and around the same price?

So I'm looking at the following.
    RT 68U
    RT 86U
    RT AC87U
    RT AC3200
    Or I may be able to go higher if I accept a refurb.

So which would ye plump for? and why?

I have the 68U and the 86U in different spots in my house. 86U coverage is noticeably better over the 68U which had previously been occupying the same spot, so I can vouch for the 86U (thought the 68U has been working great for me for years also)
    One thing I will say is that I found the Smart Connect feature to make the wifi very brittle, so I disabled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So I've settled on the RT AC86U, sooner it arrives now the better.
    I've subbed in an old tp-link router to cover me until the new one arrives and the difference in WiFi performance is really making me miss my old router!
    Farewell my auld AC87U :pac:

Advertisement