Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 Hand Gun

Options
  • 29-01-2019 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I think I'm about ready to go for a.22 hand gun. I am a member of the Midlands range and have the full criteria such as moitered alarm and safe.

My budget is 800 / 1000. I haven't a clue as to what is a good hand gun as all I have ever only shot is shotguns and rifles.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

pm. wrote: »
    Hi all

I think I'm about ready to go for a.22 hand gun. I am a member of the Midlands range and have the full criteria such as moitered alarm and safe.

My budget is 800 / 1000. I haven't a clue as to what is a good hand gun as all I have ever only shot is shotguns and rifles.

Any ideas?

Hammerli xesse, beretta 87t, model 41, browning buckmark.

Try a few pistols and see what feels the best. They are all different

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Ah the magic question - which one....
    Best advice is to try what you can - hopefully other club members firearm - otherwise a trip to Harbour House range on a Saturday (well worth the visit - even to see the fantastic facilities) - there are a couple or few retail RFD's there. Should have second-hand stuff - to try (and buy if you don't want new).
    I have a Hammerli Xesse - really good shooter - Rugers are good too, S&W have a few models.
    I started with a GSG- loved it - but was crap accuracy (I know this cause i immediately had a dramatic improvement when I got the Xesse). So my advice is to not go for looks so much - particularly if you fancy competitions. (but even if you don't fancy Comps - you still want to hit what you aim at...).
    Get the best you can afford as it can be a pain to get a license. As long as you don't wreck it and look after it like a good tool - it should keep reasonable SH value (particularly if you get a sought after model - Rugers? Xesse? S&W etc. (my opinion).
    Lots on the market - and most likely you'll see it in HH...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I'm not trying to hijack the thread but what kind of money would be needed to buy a basic reliable .22 handgun?

I'd say my wife thinks they cost thousands so I'd like to surprise her.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I'm not trying to hijack the thread but what kind of money would be needed to buy a basic reliable .22 handgun?

I'd say my wife thinks they cost thousands so I'd like to surprise her.

I got my Hammerli Xesse new for 800 euros. Good accurate reasonably priced pistol.

Hi all

Any ideas?

With that budget Hammerli sounds like your man or a second hand S&W 41

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

A good place to start would be book yourself into the Hilltop Open day on the 16 Feb, where you will get to see pistols and get to try some.
    Check out the thread in the Target shooting forum.

Smith & Wesson Model 41, and older ones not the new ones, so your looking 2nd hand there and expensive.

Hammerli Xesse Sport or IPSC models, better front sight adjustability and more adjustability in the trigger than the basic model, if it was me Id buy the Xesse very good and accurate Target pistol.

then your 87T, Ruger mk4, buckmark, S&W Victory looks like a nice pistol.

As already mentioned try some out first see what you like and what suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Limerick Sovereigns

I paid 850 new for my Grand Power K22 X-Trim and I'm very happy with it. Harbour Guns are the Irish agent for Grand Power.

You can't really go wrong with the Hammerli Xesse either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Heckler wrote: »
    I got my Hammerli Xesse new for 800 euros. Good accurate reasonably priced pistol.

New, that's way better than I was expecting myself!

I presume fellas would be upgrading or changing so there'd be good secondhand ones every now and then yeah?

It's just something I'd love to get into but more eventually than immediately.

A seed has been planted.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

I think I got my Xesse IPSC for about 850 a few years ago.
    You need to listen to people that have them as some pistols can be finiky on what you feed them. I have only shot CCI standerd volicty and have very rarely had a miss feed (I damaged the feed lip on one of my mags and this caused some issues - replaced the mage...)
    Different ammo will shoot differently in any firearm (in my experience).
    I'm sure I could feed it a more expensive rounds and maybe my shots would improve. But the price is right. So the point here is its not just the pistol -its the ammo as well.
    Just to point out the obvious - the same models seem to be getting mentioned here again and again..... so there must be something to them.
    It is imperative you try before you buy (although I am not following that advice at the moment...:-( ) as everyone has a different need (grip size- action, weight, etc. I'm a firm believer that the first time you pick a model up you will have a good idea if its suitable for you.
    DO NOT have your head turned by looks (too much) is a fire arm has a bad rep then maybe it is not worth the money - as said elsewhere there are only two great days when purchasing ....the day you buy it and the day you managed to sell it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Hi all

Any ideas?

Great but I don't think that a monitored alarm is a requirement for a 22. Cal hand gun. Unless you have a ball of guns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Zxthinger wrote: »
    Great but I don't think that a monitored alarm is a requirement for a 22. Cal hand gun. Unless you have a ball of guns.

Thanks guys for the response food for thought. A lot to choose from ðŸ‘

@ Zxthinger This will be my 6th gun so unfortunately this will be a requirement if the super insists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Dont for get to factor in the extras in the pricing. You will need range membership €300 and insurance €50 are essential. Depending on you FO you may need a separate safe €100 and lock box for your ammo. So your €800 pistol can easily turn in to €1300 - €1500 depending on what bells and whistles you add on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Luckysasha wrote: »
    You will need range membership €300 and insurance €50 are essential.

Is that an annual fee? :eek:

Dont for get to factor in the extras in the pricing. You will need range membership €300 and insurance €50 are essential. Depending on you FO you may need a separate safe €100 and lock box for your ammo. So your €800 pistol can easily turn in to €1300 - €1500 depending on what bells and whistles you add on.

I'm already a member of midlands range, do I need to be a member of a specific pistol club?

I know they have a pistol range at midlands. My gun safe is a 12 gun safe with a small handgun compartment safe inside ( at least that's what I'm calling it)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

There is a Bullseye 360 competition at MNSCI on the 10th of February and another on the 3rd of March. As you are already a member there it would be a good place to start. Comps start at 10.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

I'm already a member of midlands range, do I need to be a member of a specific pistol club

No not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

I'm already a member of midlands range, do I need to be a member of a specific pistol club?

I know they have a pistol range at midlands. My gun safe is a 12 gun safe with a small handgun compartment safe inside ( at least that's what I'm calling it)

Midlands is both a range and a Club so they have 2 pulse numbers. you will not need to join any other club.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭NASRPC

Hi all

Any ideas?

We would recommend that you attend one of the open days or club competitions around the island

See what people are using - find out what they like/don't like.

See what competitions people shoot with them.

Then pick one.

And enjoy yourself

NASRPC wrote: »
    We would recommend that you attend one of the open days or club competitions around the island

See what people are using - find out what they like/don't like.

See what competitions people shoot with them.

Then pick one.

And enjoy yourself

Sounds like a good idea, will do rather than jump in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Have the exact same gun safe which already housed my rifle and shotgun. Separate lock box on top which I thought was perfect for the pistol. A visit from my FO put that idea to bed. He insisted on a separate safe for the pistol in a separate part of the house from my gun safe and a seperat lock box for the pistol ammo. This was installed and inspected again before he signed off on the Pistol application.

• Advertisement

Have the exact same gun safe which already housed my rifle and shotgun. Separate lock box on top which I thought was perfect for the pistol. A visit from my FO put that idea to bed. He insisted on a separate safe for the pistol in a separate part of the house from my gun safe and a seperat lock box for the pistol ammo. This was installed and inspected again before he signed off on the Pistol application.

Your original set up is what I have now except for the shotgun. Rifle in main safe and pistol and ammo in a small lock box at the top. While the CPO came to inspect the safe (after I got the rifle license and the rifle) noone ever came out after I got the pistol (about 3 years ago). Maybe I'm due a visit :eek:

I did apply for the pistol at a different Garda station as I was living in a different district at the time but the safe was staying in the original district. This was all made clear in the part where you declare the firearm is being stored at an address different to where you are living.

Your original set up is what I have now except for the shotgun. Rifle and pistol in main safe and bolt, slide and ammo in a small lock box at the top. While the CPO came to inspect the safe (after I got the rifle license and the rifle) noone ever came out after I got the pistol (about 3 years ago). Maybe I'm due a visit :eek:

I did apply for the pistol at a different Garda station as I was living in a different district at the time but the safe was staying in the original district. This was all made clear in the part where you declare the firearm is being stored at an address different to where you are living.

Advertisement