Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crash involving bus taking school students at mulhuddart bridge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

I've always felt Specsavers missed a trick by not putting a "Should've gone to Specsavers" billboard beside this bridge. Given the high number of HGV drivers who hit it, it would make a good marketing campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

Pete Moss wrote: »
    I've always felt Specsavers missed a trick by not putting a "Should've gone to Specsavers" billboard beside this bridge. Given the high number of HGV drivers who hit it, it would make a good marketing campaign.

There was also a recent case of a large van for a driving school , being deroofed around there .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Hopefully everyone is ok. Does the road have a warning sign? I use that road a bit and don't recall a height warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

This happens every few months, This being the largest vehicle I've seen crash into it. surely the bridge was nearly eye level with him. bizarre this has happened. Hopefully all involved are ok!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

eviltwin wrote: »
    Hopefully everyone is ok. Does the road have a warning sign? I use that road a bit and don't recall a height warning.

It has a height sign on the bridge with the exact height that can fit through - it's in the middle of the yellow and black chevrons on the bridge that you can see in this pic.

https://www.facebook.com/GardaCheckpointsDublin/photos/a.282296615203734/1685743534859028/?type=3&theater

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

eviltwin wrote: »

I’d say between all the approach roads to that bridge there’s about 12 warning signs, unfortunately signs don’t fix stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

billie1b wrote: »
    I’d say between all the approach roads to that bridge there’s about 12 warning signs, unfortunately signs don’t fix stupid

Not much use on the approach road as a large vehicle can't turn once on the road. They need to put the warning signs on the road before you access the road the bridge is on, or just place a height barrier at both ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

Del2005 wrote: »
    Not much use on the approach road as a large vehicle can't turn once on the road. They need to put the warning signs on the road before you access the road the bridge is on, or just place a height barrier at both ends.

So the 6 or so signs on the actual road and the ones on the bridge aren’t enough? Signs on the approach roads should be enough to deter a large vehicle from turning onto the road with the bridge, it’s driver stupidity plain and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭victor8600

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4026908,-6.397766,3a,75y,266.04h,91.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siCPslHfE4hz9-p5esm0PJw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

There is a sign that states the height of the bridge before the turn (see the Google maps link).

victor8600 wrote: »
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4026908,-6.397766,3a,75y,266.04h,91.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siCPslHfE4hz9-p5esm0PJw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

There is a sign that states the height of the bridge before the turn (see the Google maps link).

But sure the bus was coming from the blakestown direction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Del2005 wrote: »

They might have difficulty turning but it's still better than ploughing on into a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

thomasj wrote: »
    But sure the bus was coming from the blakestown direction.

Where this one is visible: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.39934,-6.4013041,3a,15y,24.08h,89.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEUN3gyx0QISO9AZVFwy3GQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

cython wrote: »

But the bus is coming from the blakestown direction (was taking students from blakestown community school)

Question is, did the driver see the sign in the right hand side of the road when they were turning right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

But the bus is coming from the blakestown direction (was taking students from blakestown community school)

Question is, did the driver see the sign in the right hand side of the road when they were turning right ?

Does it really matter? Even if there were no signs, if you see a bridge that's lower than your vehicle then the first thing you do is stop.

Does it really matter? Even if there were no signs, if you see a bridge that's lower than your vehicle then the first thing you do is stop.

No you're right it doesn't ,.

I'm just trying to find the method of the madness because it's happening far too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

They might have difficulty turning but it's still better than ploughing on into a bridge.

That's it though, I like many truck drivers have come across low bridges some drivers 'send her on' and wreck everything in sight but most of us go easy and if it wont fit then yes you may create a jam but at least there is not thousands of fines and bills to be paid.

One problem here and I am NOT saying it has anything to do with this horrible accident is that the bridges can be labelled for height and never changed when resurfacing of the roads take place and the height nolonger applies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

If they stopped at the lights for any duration, there's one on the side near to them too: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3992917,-6.4007941,3a,60.9y,306.54h,84.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_OGNh4dMN2TZiEHrADM7-g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

However as others have said, the bridge is low enough as you approach that it should give any professional driver with a bit of cop on pause for thought, and the fact that there is a height warning (even if you can't make the numbers out) should encourage caution.

However, there will always be some people who have to burn themselves before they'll accept that the stove is hot. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

The bus driver should be charged with careless driving, He passed 7 signs [2.6m low bridge ahead] and he still drives on and hits the bridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Need more 11' 8" bridges to keep them awake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

A few more hits from the past...

289015-209285305805287-1395608515-o.jpg

• Advertisement

dickwod1 wrote: »
    A few more hits from the past...

289015-209285305805287-1395608515-o.jpg

Ah the best /worst one was the van from the driving school. Got to the other side but was deroofed

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

The kids on the bus were telling him not to go that way so even if he managed not to see the signs he also ignored warnings from others. License should be taken from him and shredded.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

It was a swords express coach, not having a lot of luck after another one of their vehicles going up in flames at the halfway house recently.

Advertisement