Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

49cc Moped Suggestions

Options
  • 29-01-2019 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi I'm looking to buy a moped and looking for some suggestions.
    I was thinking a Honda Zoomer but I'm afraid the four-stroke will be very slow (I know mopeds won't be fast)

what would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Dont bother, they're painfully slow. What licence do you have ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 colm!_!

I'm getting an A2 provisional licence soon and just gonna get a moped for a few months to save so it doesnt necessarily need to be 49 I'm looking for something cheap to run/insure and is reliable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

A 49cc scooter may cost more to insure than a bigger bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LariToper

The honda zoomer is an incredibly slow bike. Going uphill it will only do about 30km/h. Flat out you'd be lucky to hit 50km/h depending on how you have it tuned. Tuning is also not that easy considering the limiter is done via the ecu.

A 49cc scooter may cost more to insure than a bigger bike.

why do you say that? Ive only gotten online quotes from liberty but it was a good bit cheaper.

• Advertisement

LariToper wrote: »
    The honda zoomer is an incredibly slow bike. Going uphill it will only do about 30km/h. Flat out you'd be lucky to hit 50km/h depending on how you have it tuned. Tuning is also not that easy considering the limiter is done via the ecu.

Yeah, think I might steer clear. My thinking was a honda zoomer would have held its value better than a newer scooter since I don't plan on having it for too long.

What sort of scooter would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LariToper

I'm afraid my knowledge is very limited, I have a good bit of experience with a zoomer but other than that haven't tried anything similar. Hopefully someone else can help

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

colm!_! wrote: »
    Yeah, think I might steer clear. My thinking was a honda zoomer would have held its value better than a newer scooter since I don't plan on having it for too long.

What sort of scooter would you recommend?

There would not have been too many Zoomers sold in Ireland.

What is your budget? You said you are looking to save. Dont fall into the trap of buying a bucket of sh1te: Whats your budget ?

https://www.donedeal.ie/scooters?sort=price%20asc&words=50cc
    https://www.donedeal.ie/scooters?sort=price%20asc&words=49cc

Not a huge amount on the market.

yeah, I found a place called retro bikes and they import zoomers and other retro bikes from Japan. I suppose in an around 1200-1500. Yeah you get what you pay for.

I'm afraid my knowledge is very limited, I have a good bit of experience with a zoomer but other than that haven't tried anything similar. Hopefully someone else can help

No problem thanks I just saw a place that imports the zoomers and was like for a moped they look pretty cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If it hits 50km/h it's not a moped.

Getting a moped when you have an A2 licence is a waste of time.. Mopeds aren't suitable for anything outside a major city or a 14 year old on the continent.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If it hits 50km/h it's not a moped.

Getting a moped when you have an A2 licence is a waste of time.. Mopeds aren't suitable for anything outside a major city or a 14 year old on the continent.

So what would you recommend? My thinking was that the moped would require far less maintenance than a bike as well as cheaper running costs and insurance. It's only going to be used for commuting really(in and out of town). Until I save to get a bigger bike

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Forget about a 49cc scooter. They're painfully slow and a nuisance to car drivers which makes them dangerous as well. People will loose their patience being stuck behind you and will overtake you at every opportunity.

Get an A2 bike and you ll actually have fun as well.
    I can recommend the Honda CB500. Bulletproof, quick and fun to ride :

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-cb500-2001/20937627

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

why do you say that? Ive only gotten online quotes from liberty but it was a good bit cheaper.

I say that because I have the experience of trying to help others get insurance for mopeds. The only online quote is from Liberty insurance.
    There are 3 others,
    1, Principal insurance
    2, Carole Nash
    3, Axa

I say that because I have the experience of trying to help others get insurance for mopeds. The only online quote is from Liberty insurance.
    There are 3 others,
    1, Principal insurance
    2, Carole Nash
    3, Axa

Fair enough. so what bike would you recommend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

I have all sorts of bikes I travel from Leixlip to the city center every day but for the past 18 months have used a Yamaha Aerox I use 6 euro of petrol a week a bottle of two stroke a month and haven't serviced or even changed the plug in that time.

It does 90km per hour and even on a hill will still do 70km like how fast do I need to go, takes me 30 min to get in great in traffic I meet the same guys everyday on much bigger bikes between Lucan/Palmerstown but catch up on them at Hueston station and then leave them in the traffic.

Twist and go the way to go.

What ever your in to Oh I only lot 2 days because of the snow last year great in the frost too its so light love it there hard to find but do come up

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

650gs wrote: »
    Yamaha Aerox

It does 90km per hour and even on a hill will still do 70km

I used to have a Italjet D50 that did similar. Wasn't road-legal though. Fortunately I bought a 250 that was better at getting my frame up hills before the filth had a chance to bust me for it. :D

650gs wrote: »
    I have all sorts of bikes I travel from Leixlip to the city center every day but for the past 18 months have used a Yamaha Aerox I use 6 euro of petrol a week a bottle of two stroke a month and haven't serviced or even changed the plug in that time.

It does 90km per hour and even on a hill will still do 70km like how fast do I need to go, takes me 30 min to get in great in traffic I meet the same guys everyday on much bigger bikes between Lucan/Palmerstown but catch up on them at Hueston station and then leave them in the traffic.

Twist and go the way to go.

What ever your in to Oh I only lot 2 days because of the snow last year great in the frost too its so light love it there hard to find but do come up

Unfortunately not much aerox or gilera runners around any other mopeds of a similar calibre?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Fair enough. so what bike would you recommend ?

You need to go into a few bike shops and sit on as many as possible, ask before just to be polite, because everyone is different sized and what I like you might not. It comes down to how much weather protection you want vs how easy to filter, and most importantly can you get both feet on the ground.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You need to go into a few bike shops and sit on as many as possible, ask before just to be polite, because everyone is different sized and what I like you might not. It comes down to how much weather protection you want vs how easy to filter, and most importantly can you get both feet on the ground.

Yeah very true.

• Advertisement
Advertisement