Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about budgie

Options
  • 29-01-2019 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I have a quick question. So a I know a guy who has an aviary and has so many new born budgies. I read somewhere that if you want to tame a budgie first of all make sure you only buy one and secondly make sure it's a baby.

Now my question is say I buy 1 budgie right now, hand tame him and he gets used to me etc... then I buy another baby budgie and hand tame him as well and he gets used to me too and then I put both of these birds together once they are tamed will they still be used to me or will they forget me and freak out every time I bring my hand in the cage since now there are two of them and they are used to each other.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Hi everyone. I have a quick question. So a I know a guy who has an aviary and has so many new born budgies. I read somewhere that if you want to tame a budgie first of all make sure you only buy one and secondly make sure it's a baby.

Now my question is say I buy 1 budgie right now, hand tame him and he gets used to me etc... then I buy another baby budgie and hand tame him as well and he gets used to me too and then I put both of these birds together once they are tamed will they still be used to me or will they forget me and freak out every time I bring my hand in the cage since now there are two of them and they are used to each other.

Thanks.

No Budgies are among the easiest birds to tame. They will love interacting with each other but as long as you regularly handle them, they will remain tame. Just make sure you buy as big a cage as possible with the correct bar spacing. What many Pet Shops call large cages, I call tiny. Round cages are not suitable. Budgies also need a varied diet with fresh fruit & Veg. Before you get a bird remember they are noisy & can be messy feeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭jellybear

Knine wrote: »
    Before you get a bird remember they are noisy & can be messy feeders.

Never has a truer word been spoken!!:D
    Our girl Ivy is 11 and has been handled since we got her. It's incredibly handy when you need to bring them to the vet, administer antibiotics, trim beaks (we have to trim hers quite often due to a condition she has). Her mate, Ole, was also handled from very young and had numerous medical conditions which meant he had to be handled a lot so it was great that he was so used to it. They can be difficult to hold at times due to the oil on their feathers. Our girl is particularly slippery! Best of luck if you decide to get one or two. They're gorgeous little pets :)

Advertisement