Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Legal penalties for unaccompanied L drivers

Options
  • 29-01-2019 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭

Starting a new thread as I think it might help clarify things for L driver and the risk to your future driving if caught driving unaccompanied, no L plates etc as there are multiple threads on this topic some huge and the info may be there but buried.

All agree that you can't drive unaccompanied but I cant see a definitive referenced post of the legal penalties that are applicable.
    These penalties will impact your insurance going forward and as a learner / novice driver the increased costs could make driving a financial impossibility.

I'm also struggling to clarify the difference between a learner using their own car as opposed to a learner using a 3rd party persons car unaccompanied (Clancy Law and subject of current add campaign).

I've had a look and tried to search the RTA but I'm not a legal eagle as I'm sure most in here aren't so gave up. The RSA site isn't definitive either. It says you can't drive unaccompanied but doesn't clarify the penalties.

Maybe someone that knows better could clarify the exact implications in plain English then the mods could add the info to the FAQs for reference.

If you can add definitive info and links that would be a great help as info is getting lost in the other threads. It would be great if discussion could be kept to the other threads and only relevant info posted here. Hopefully we can end up with a simple post of a few lines that can easily be understood.

So far I've seen the following:
    Possible car seizure - posted in this forum and also referenced in various paper articles.
    Possible court summons and €1,000 fine (minimum??) - posted on forums and FAQs.
    3rd party car owner - car seizure, fines, anything else that can impact the car owner??

2 points as listed in the updated penalty points update 26 Oct 2018.
    2 points for No L or N plates displayed.
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Penalty%20Point%20offences%20as%20of%2026%20October%202018.pdf

Insurance:
    If you are unaccompanied are you legally driving without insurance? If so that's a mandatory court appearance as per above points update. No idea what the penalty points implication is in that case.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

On crimeline last night it was mentioned over 200 cars have been seized as a result of the new legislation.

Section 41 of the road traffic act 1994 as amended is the legislation for seizure of vehicles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The only difference between being unaccompanied in your own car, and unaccompanied in a car owned by someone else, is that other person is perceived as an accomplice.

In my opinion the Learners Permit should just be revoked, when the criteria for it's use are not adhered to. There should be a 0 points threshold on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The only difference between being unaccompanied in your own car, and unaccompanied in a car owned by someone else, is that other person is perceived as an accomplice.

In my opinion the Learners Permit should just be revoked, when the criteria for it's use are not adhered to. There should be a 0 points threshold on it.

So what penalty would you suggest for the accomplice to this criminal act, their licence taken too perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

So what penalty would you suggest for the accomplice to this criminal act, their licence taken too perhaps?

Er, fines and possible jail time of course which is the current law. why, did you want to add disqualification to it as well?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm not sure what you're reaching for...

I didn't say anything about how to handle the "accomplice." Just that's what the legislation entails now. I think it's a bit much, when all you have to do is revoke the learners permit, because the conditions of usage weren't adhered to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement