Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying at a homeless shelter

Options
  • 29-01-2019 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I am on a waiting list for a space in a homeless shelter.

Any recommendations? What should I pack? Anyone been in a homeless shelter before and can share info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

I haven't, but keep your chin up..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to the shelter and ask them what is provided, what isn't, and what you can store.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Any recommendations? What should I pack? Anyone been in a homeless shelter before and can share info?

Good luck OP. are you safe now in the bad weather?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Hi, I worked in a homeless shelter many years ago.
    The most damaging part of them is the mental health aspect.
    The food inside was bland but nourishing.
    The two most important thing that happens is that you do not fall off "that ledge".
    "You are NOT homeless, you are between homes". You need to keep this mindset.

Occupy your days.
    Eat well (Big breakfast), loads of calories, moving and cold eats them all up.
    Keep clean. look after your teeth especially.
    have a routine. There are LOADs of free things to do to occupy your time.
    Be under cover during the day, be it a church, library or community hall. The worst thing about being homeless is no occupation and no where to go.

This is only a temporary situation. You ARE going to get accommodation, you ARE going to get on a course or job. Life will be BETTER.

There are facilities there for you, you need to access them all. Do not take a time to rest or feel sorry for yourself. The most important thing is not to become institutionalized by the system. You need mental health support and a social worker to get you back on your feet.

If I was made homeless in the morning I would pack a bag. clean warm clothes. You need good boots and a coat(both waterproof and warm). wash kit tooth brush and paste, wash cloth, shower gel and deodorant.

Stay away from people with mental health issue and substance abuse issues. They will bring you further into the cycle. Try to get back to normal life ASAP.
    best of luck and my heart goes out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Don't bring anything of value, e.g. brand name clothes, electronics. Bring the bare minimum of make-up and toiletries (stuff like this, even the cheap brands can get nicked.) Find out about laundry facilities - do you need to bring your own detergent? Bring towels, find out whether you need bed-clothes (some places will only let you use theirs, others you need to bring your own.) Best to avoid spray deodorants etc as they're not always permitted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

The Urban Survival manual by John Lofty Wiseman may be of help. Go get it in the library.
    A tiny bottle of Tea tree oil has many uses (€6). It is fairly powerful, dilute it down for a face wash (2-3 drops), you can use it to prevent lice with a few drops on a comb.
    You will have to learn a little first aid. As soon as you get a cut get it treated as soon as possible. To prevent infections, and other complications from open wounds.

Have 2 changes of clothes and three changes of socks, jocks, vest. Remember if you get wet you are miserable for the day. If you are cold you can warm up fairly quickly.

Stay away from "wet" (places where drink and drugs are tolerated) places and try find something to develop yourself. You have a social welfare officer assigned to you and they will try to help you progress. The most important thing is you dont give up hope.

Advertisement