Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Set up Fritzbox 7560 as modem [SOLVED]

Options
  • 28-01-2019 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi, recently I got Digiweb gigabit internet from SIRO. Cable comes into the SIRO box in the house and then with ethernet cable to the Fritzbox 7560 in LAN port 1. And then with an ethernet cable from LAN 2 to my TP power link to my ASUS RT-AC66U router which then distributes the internet to my PC and Synology NAS.

I used to to have a VM internet with their box set up as modem in the same set up with the ASUS router and this worked fine with my NAS. My NAS was accessible from any device inside and outside my network.

However with the Fritzbox the WAN on the ASUS router is getting a 192.168.x.x IP from the Fritzbox. That doesnt work. It needs to get its own IP address from the Fritzbox.

How do I set up the Fritzbox to get to that situation? Is it possible to set up the Fritzbox as modem? Or do I need to set it up differently to make my NAS accessible again?

Thank you

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If you're on SIRO you can remove the Fritzbox completely and use the ASUS connected from its own WAN port to the ONT device on your wall that the fibre goes into.

Setup the ASUS for:
    PPPoE WAN connection
    User: digiweb@siro.digiweb.ie
    Password: digiweb
    VLAN: 10 (VERY IMPORTANT!)

The other option would be to use the FritzBox and not the ASUS. I had it working for a while before replacing it with an EdgeRouter and it seemed to handle forwarding OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

OK Cool, let me try that, that sounds very cool. Will let you know how that worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

First of all ..

The one thing the Fritz!Box is completely crap at .. is bridging. You can forward all ports to another device, but it's not quite like bridging.

It's brilliant at everything else. But if you want to just bridge things, then don't. Just remove it.

Use the credentials above. Your ASUS will have no issue talking directly to Digiweb. None of all the crud above needed.

/M

Cheers M. I will get to that tomorrow :)

Got it sorted. Your solution worked.

Just to add: On the ASUS RT-AC66U to set up VLAN you need to go under LAN > IPTV > under LAN Port (Select ISP Profile) > Manual Settings. Where it says Internet - VID (enter the VLAN port to work with their internet)

• Advertisement
Advertisement