Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do lanes have to be uniform both sides?

Options
  • 28-01-2019 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭

Just reading one of the threads about not enough space to add a lane both sides and it got me wondering...

Is there anything to stop a road having more lanes one way than another. Like the extra lane will still benefit everyone as we all (on average) go back the way we came.

So lets say they find space on the M50 to add another northbound lane...why not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I imagine there would be nothing stopping them putting more lanes one direction over the other. You see “climbing lanes” in certain parts of the country. Fair enough they don’t go on for miles but they do exist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

This road has two lanes in one direction and then changes to two lanes in the opposite direction half along it length from the N11 to the big traffic lights under the Luas overpass.

It is an absolute abortion of a road as people take the outside lane to overtake, then realise they will be trapped into going into the Sandyford Ind Est and try to barge into the left hand land to get on to the M50 and FREEDOM.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Absolutely no requirement. We'd be here all year finding examples. Most importantly, there were multiple trial schemes of 2+1 road where the sides switched.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Just reading one of the threads about not enough space to add a lane both sides and it got me wondering...

Is there anything to stop a road having more lanes one way than another. Like the extra lane will still benefit everyone as we all (on average) go back the way we came.

So lets say they find space on the M50 to add another northbound lane...why not?

If the space was there, then no issues. Whether it would be of any use is another matter!

L1011 wrote: »
    Absolutely no requirement. We'd be here all year finding examples. Most importantly, there were multiple trial schemes of 2+1 road where the sides switched.

I think they're great roads. Going from Drogheda to Monaghan I often end up on one of them somewhere along the way (where exactly, I don't know).

It's a great opportunity to get the boot down to get by trucks and speed-limited vans and the likes. You just have to merge in every now and again when the other side of the road gets it's turn to overtake.

If you have space for 3 lanes, I think they're a great idea.

Just sickens the hole of me when you see a climbing lane appear, and a speed van camps at the end of it. But that's a whole different thread, I suppose.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I think they're great roads. Going from Drogheda to Monaghan I often end up on one of them somewhere along the way (where exactly, I don't know).

It's a great opportunity to get the boot down to get by trucks and speed-limited vans and the likes. You just have to merge in every now and again when the other side of the road gets it's turn to overtake.

If you have space for 3 lanes, I think they're a great idea.

Just sickens the hole of me when you see a climbing lane appear, and a speed van camps at the end of it. But that's a whole different thread, I suppose.. :)

They're not a good idea and they've been dropped by TII as they are dangerous. Drivers accelerate to try and pass traffic just before the double-lane section switched and that is seen as a hazard. They now build 2+2s instead. What surprises me is that they haven't been removed a decade after the decision was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Or the slow moving traffic accelerates from 75km/h to 110km/h for the dual part and you really have to dog it to overtake them!!

2+2 is definitely better though I'm not sure how much more it costs..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭prunudo

Or the slow moving traffic accelerates from 75km/h to 110km/h for the dual part and you really have to dog it to overtake them!!

2+2 is definitely better though I'm not sure how much more it costs..

Have seen this over the years and its generally not commercial vehicles either, usually nervous Norman, day dreaming Doris or farmer Fred.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Monaghan one is also built with the dual section downhill in some places, meaning no climbing lane and people inadvertently speeding up coming down causing the inability to overtake them. Poor format badly implemented.

They are used in Scandinavia on roads with much lower traffic than here. The type 2 dual carriageway standard that replaced them is barely more expensive to build and can be cheaper to maintain depending on the barrier type used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

On some levels there was probably a good case for the new M7 works to be 2-in and 4-out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement