Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pram for city living/public transport

Options
  • 28-01-2019 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Hi all I'm not due till July but have started looking at prams/ travel systems. I live in an apartment and don't drive so am on public transport a lot. Has anyone any recommendations for a good pram from newborn upwards, one that folds easily and has a good size basket etc? Looking for something quite compact not too bulky.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

You could buy a from birth stroller, such as Maclaren XLR can also be turned into a travel system by adding a carrycot lies flat for baby too. Folds up umbrella style. I have a Maclaren Quest and love it, not sure I would use it from newborn thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

We recently rented a city jogger mini whilst in the us for 2 weeks and it is amazing. So light, one hand folding and pushing and super hood.. gonna be getting one this time for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I have a city mini myself. I would look a the baby zen yoyo and bugaboo bee too they seem to be popular.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Uppababy cruz is a good one too, although I admit to being a biased uppababy user. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I was admiring the uppababy minu today, it’s from 6 months, but I’m pretty sure there’s a newborn carrycot thingy.
    I’d also like to check out the babyzen yo-yo. They both seem to fold up super small.
    I don’t really NEED any new buggy for my impending arrival, but my travel system is really bulky, so I’m considering it, because we will be a bit tighter on space in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

jlm29 wrote: »
    I was admiring the uppababy minu today, it’s from 6 months, but I’m pretty sure there’s a newborn carrycot thingy.
    I’d also like to check out the babyzen yo-yo. They both seem to fold up super small.
    I don’t really NEED any new buggy for my impending arrival, but my travel system is really bulky, so I’m considering it, because we will be a bit tighter on space in the car.

I think the baby zen yo yo looks brill!! I am almost sure you can get buggy board with a seat for it like the bugaboo one.
    I have the seat board on my bugaboo and it has been a lifesaver!!!

Millem wrote: »
    I think the baby zen yo yo looks brill!! I am almost sure you can get buggy board with a seat for it like the bugaboo one.
    I have the seat board on my bugaboo and it has been a lifesaver!!!

It does look great, but only suitable from 6 mo, the carrycot is expensive, and probably wouldn’t be used much! I haven’t checked to see can it take a car seat, the uppababy one definitely can, so could be used from newborn that way

Actually I just checked there and the babyzen can take a cabrio too!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bluebell01

I'm also living in the city in a very small house. I've a very small car too. Will be getting a bugaboo bee. They seem to be popular with city dwellers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Was going to recommend the bee too. A lot of strollers are forward facing only which isn't ideal for a small baby. I'd have bought the bee if I was getting a new one. They come up for sale second hand a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 greenwaving

We have the Bugaboo Bee and love it. It is light and compact. It can be pushed one handed and the movement is easy and intuitive. When out and about it fits down the smallest aisles as it is so narrow and the handlebars can be pushed down to make it more compact when stationary or in a lift etc. The compactness also comes in handy when used in the house for naps. It is designed as a city pram but I have taken it 'off-road' numerous times on country walks with no issue. We bought the newborn insert (think it's called the nest or something like that) and used it from birth. The pram can even be folded with the insert on unlike most bassinets that have to be removed every time. It can also be used facing in towards you or outward facing unlike a lot of from birth strollers which are forward facing only (this was super important to me). You can add a board attachment to it for an older child although we have not used it like this yet. You can also get attachments for most newborn car seats as well although again we never used it like this preferring to just put our baby straight in. When researching prams I was sold on it when I saw two things: 1. Someone reviewing it was easily able to lift it up and down a flight of stairs in a tube station in London with the baby inside due to its size and weight; 2. A blogger who had it for years didn't bother getting a stroller and continued to use it until her 2nd child was 3 and even took it on holiday flights away.

The only potential downsides I can see are 1. it doesn't fold one-handed (never been an issue for me but might be if alone on public transport and a bus driver asks you to fold your pram); 2. like all Bugaboos the seat sits close to the ground (again not an issue for me but some mums see this as a downside as they like their babies close to their face especially in the early days. I saw it more as a bonus as toddler could easily climb into the pram themselves due to it's proximity to the ground); and 3. the basket isn't huge (it still fits a fair amount but some of the bigger prams definitely have bigger baskets - I think this is just a compromise you have to make with a smaller pram).

It is expensive but I think it is worth every penny. We use ours nearly everyday (our toddler naps in the pram in the house) and we haven't had to buy a stroller. Also, Bugaboos tend to hold their value when being sold 2nd hand (although we don't intend to sell ours anytime soon as we want to use it for future children). And every time I see a poor mummy struggling to squeeze into areas with her enormous pram or spending a ridiculous amount of time taking wheels and bassinets off the pram before it can fit into the boot I thank my lucky stars that I got the Bee. Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Yep I’d vote for a bugaboo bee too. We’ve had the chameleon for 3 kids now and it’s in incredible shape. If I was buying new I’d probably go for the bee because it’s so lightweight, tested in Kealys a yr or two ago and loved it.
    We have the bugaboo buggy board for almost 3 years and it’s hands down the best piece of kit because it has the seat. It’s a major upside of the bugaboo buggies. I have 3 kids - first two there’s 3 years between them and youngest two 2.5 yrs exactly and we’ve never needed a double buggy because the older child has always sat on the buggy board happily, including for long walks. I’m not kidding when I say we get stopped constantly by people asking about the buggy board.
    The resale on bugaboos is excellent aswell, they’re always in huge demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Thanks guys for all the suggestions will definitely be looking at the bugaboo bee and a few others. Price of prams nowadays but suppose I'll be using it a lot so will be worth it.

Can the bugaboo stroller part be parent facing also or just forward facing? Edit: oh I see it can be either nice one

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Used to live in London. The buggies of choice there were generally the Bugaboo Bee, Babyzen Yoyo and Baby Jogger City Mini. I had a City Mini for 2 years, great buggy tbh and really good to travel with.

Advertisement