Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Shepherd starting to mouth at my hands.

Options
  • 28-01-2019 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I have a 16 month male German Shepherd who is an absolute pleasure to own, he's house trained, very friendly towards other dogs/people (sometimes too much that leads to giddy jumping on them!) and generally very obedient.

However, recently he's started to mouth at my hands when I come home from work or haven't seen him in a while. He's not being vicious or biting down or anything but he has to have my hands in his mouth and actively tries to manoeuvre them into his mouth if I'm trying to pet him or whatever. He will usually stop though when he calms down a bit. It doesn't really bother me to be honest but I'm worried he'd try it on someone trying to pet him and it'd be seen as him trying to bite. Any ideas how I can stop this? Scolding him has only led to confused looks and repeated attempts :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

D'you know what? He wouldn't be a GSD if he didn't do this :D
    It gave me a little lol reading your post, they don't call GSDs the "land shark" for nowt!
    So, he's as bright as a button, he'll pick up very quickly what works for him, and what doesnt. If you simply withdraw your hands and stand up straight, ignoring him when he does it, he won't be long copping on that only when he keeps his mouth to himself will he get his greeting. You may have to repeat this quite a lot at first, but he'll get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Oh I'm well aware of their land shark nickname as he chewed everything in sight including hands and feet as a pup :P but he grew out of it at around 7 months and has only stared this carry on recently so I was wondering, but I'll give your suggestion a go. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My retriever does it sometimes too - only to his favourites so they think it’s great!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Both my dogs so this! They are quite gentle and will take your hand to show what it is they want i.e bring you to the door or to their food bowl. When they are excited both have toys beside the door - when somebody comes in they grab a toy to say hello - this might help you... keep a rope toy outside the door when you come in give it to the dog. Lets him say hello but with a full mouth to stop biting/mouthing!

They only do it with family and people they love so it is not a problem for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

AryaStark wrote: »
    Both my dogs so this! They are quite gentle and will take your hand to show what it is they want i.e bring you to the door or to their food bowl. When they are excited both have toys beside the door - when somebody comes in they grab a toy to say hello - this might help you... keep a rope toy outside the door when you come in give it to the dog. Lets him say hello but with a full mouth to stop biting/mouthing!

Same - I'm always presented with a toy when I come in :D ...Then they welcome me further by going out for a wee :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

AryaStark wrote: »

This works for us too - one boy who loves to mouth hands, teddies in every room! Sometimes hes so excited when we set out for out walk, he takes my glove off and carries it on the walk - very irritating when he drops it later and I dont see where!

Advertisement