Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything changed with Android lately?

Options
  • 28-01-2019 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭

Hi,

It's been years (about 4) since I last posted here, as I moved away from Android to get an iPhone.

Due an upgrade (have iPhone 6 for past 4 years), and I just wanted to ask the experts on here about a couple of things, to see if it has changed since my last Android experience.

The 2 things that drew me back to iPhone after having a One M7 and a Galaxy S3 were:

1. If something went wrong with the androids, its took weeks to get it repaired. This happened on both Androids I had, and it was very frustrating. They both had to go to the UK, and I'm not sure if the network was to blame or not, but it took ages. I had 2 issues with iPhones over the years, and they got sorted more or less over the counter in about 24 to 48 hours each.

2. Software updates. Do these still take ages from when Google releases an update before it lands on any given device?

If warranty work and software updates have been sorted, I'd consider an Android for my next phone. The upgrade options for iPhone are just ridiculously priced.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

If you want the most apple like experience you should be looking at Pixel phones, fastest updates and quick turnaround of returns and warranty replacements - you'll have the replacement before you send the faulty one back normally.

If you could compromise on the quick repair turn around One Plus are probably next best when it comes to updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I also had an M7, M8, M10 etc. and a few before that.
    1. Never had an issue with repairs, there was a place in Sandyford that would fix your phone under warranty within a day... sometimes they'd take longer due to lack of parts. but never weeks.
    2. Android one gives updates every month. Full upgrades every year. These are pure android and the manufacturer can release them almost straight away as there is no bloatware to add. Googles pPixel & Nokias phones all have Andriod One
    3. iPhone is on a downward trend. Over priced, walled garden etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I also had an M7, M8, M10 etc. and a few before that.
    1. Never had an issue with repairs, there was a place in Sandyford that would fix your phone under warranty within a day... sometimes they'd take longer due to lack of parts. but never weeks.
    2. Android one gives updates every month. Full upgrades every year. These are pure android and the manufacturer can release them almost straight away as there is no bloatware to add. Googles pPixel & Nokias phones all have Andriod One
    3. iPhone is on a downward trend. Over priced, walled garden etc...

Thanks. The Pixels seem more or less on par with the iphone n terms of price at this stage. I didn't realise that Nokia are quick to update, I will check that out. Are there Nokia handsets that are comparable in spec and performance to OnePlus/Pixel/iPhone?

Is Android One a different OS to regular Android?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thanks. The Pixels seem more or less on par with the iphone n terms of price at this stage. I didn't realise that Nokia are quick to update, I will check that out. Are there Nokia handsets that are comparable in spec and performance to OnePlus/Pixel/iPhone?

Is Android One a different OS to regular Android?

Android One isn't really different. It is stock android, there is nothing there from the manufacturer to change it. It also promises to support phones that run it for longer and you should get updates for 3 years from the release of the device. It's a way of streamlining updates and offering a consistent android experience. Lots of manufacturers use it, and even those that don't, like OnePlus, update their devices consistently and for a good amount of time after release.

Lack of updates was a big problem in the days of the S3, google and manufacturers put a lot more effort into it now and it wouldn't be of great concern to me any more tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Android One is pure... So the phone maker isn't allowed to add skins, bundled apps additional software or branding to the OS. It runs faster, puts the battery under les strain and gets monthly security updates and bug fixes. You are guarunteed to get 2 full OS updates.

I have just ordered the Nokia 8.1, their upper mid tier phone. It has Android V9 & will be guarunteed to get V10 & V11 shortly after release (probably within a week or two of release).

If you are looking for a high end phone, the Nokia 9 is launching on 24th February. Sounds superb from the leaks... 5 rear facing cameras, large battery, front camera in screen etc.

• Advertisement

there are even good budget phones with android one

e.g. mi a2 and mi a2 lite

and budget phones have come on so much (particularly in the last year) you wouldn't believe in terms of build quality, fast running speed and even camera capability.

ones like the above ones are viable options for even heavy users imo.

Advertisement