Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitored alarm recommendations?

Options
  • 27-01-2019 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hi all I'm looking at how much a monitored alarm is for secure storage requirements, what are some of you lads using what's the most affordable option that's still worthwhile?
    Are the gardai fussy about what brand or type of alarm?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

My Chief insisted that I got a monitored alarm with GSM backup. I used Xenon Security. I found them good.

The price depends on what you want, how big your house is etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Hi all I'm looking at how much a monitored alarm is for secure storage requirements, what are some of you lads using what's the most affordable option that's still worthwhile?
    Are the gardai fussy about what brand or type of alarm?
    Cheers

Best post to home security. From personal experience I had altor secure install my alarm. The alarm is a hkc Quantom https://www.hkcsecurity.com/ie/product/quantum-70-wireless/

Find it brilliant and have full control from my phone. It costs about 20 per month to have it monitored

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

pm. wrote: »
    Best post to home security. From personal experience I had altor secure install my alarm. The alarm is a hkc Quantom https://www.hkcsecurity.com/ie/product/quantum-70-wireless/

Find it brilliant and have full control from my phone. It costs about 20 per month to have it monitored

Altor did mine too. He installed an excellent HKC hybrid system. It will take wired and wireless sensors. Can’t recommend him highly enough. Separate zone for the gun safe, motion detectors with built in cameras that can be viewed in the app and a few other nice little extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Just wondering on the monitored alarm, does there have to be an external company being paid constantly to suffice. I have a hkc alarm with gsm, and hik connect cameras around any possible entries to our house. Real time apps for both. Would this suffice!?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

milhous wrote: »
    Just wondering on the monitored alarm, does there have to be an external company being paid constantly to suffice. I have a hkc alarm with gsm, and hik connect cameras around any possible entries to our house. Real time apps for both. Would this suffice!?

That depends on what you have and what your super insists on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

2011 wrote: »
    That depends on what you have and what your super insists on.

So every district and super will be somewhat different. Fair. I'm just wondering is this for every type of gun be it rifle/pistol and calibre etc.

Just started researching to get a 9mm but seems post 2009 it's not an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

milhous wrote: »
    So every district and super will be somewhat different. Fair. I'm just wondering is this for every type of gun be it rifle/pistol and calibre etc.

Just started researching to get a 9mm but seems post 2009 it's not an option?

No lad you wont get a 9mm pistol there is a ban on all new licences post November 2008(christ 10 years ago), in theory you could get a semi auto 9mm rifle but its barrel length has to be greater than 12" with a overall length exceeding 60cm? so something like a ar-15 in 9mm or a Ruger PC9 which i quite like the look of its like a oversized 10/22:pac:

Cheers lads for the advice ill look into HKC, 20 euro a month is very reasonable.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

As other posters said the hkc panel is great. You can get it set up so you can monitor it yourself which will save you the monthly fee

As other posters said the hkc panel is great. You can get it set up so you can monitor it yourself which will save you the monthly fee

That's great but the Chief in my area wanted it to be monitored by a licenced company. In other words, I couldn't use the system where I monitored it myself.

My advice would be not to spend any money until you know exactly what kind of system the Gardaí want.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,522 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Anyone monitoring their own alarm might want to read the S.I again;

'The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the
    Private Security Authority
    '

• Advertisement

Witcher wrote: »

'The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the
    '

I think you should read it yourself. An alarm is not even required in every case. Look at the schedule on page 3:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=87248&d=1249566160

• Registered Users Posts: 14,522 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I think you should read it yourself. An alarm is not even required in every case. Look at the schedule on page 3:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=87248&d=1249566160

I meant when you're at the level that requires the alarm be monitored.

/facepalm

I meant when you're at the level that requires the alarm be monitored.

/facepalm

When you are in the small minority at that level then yes obviously that applies.

However in most cases that an alarm is required even a self monitored, self installed alarm is even acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

'

I'm aware of that. If you have a PSA licence you can monitor it yourself and comply fully with the S.I.

If you have a PSA licence you can monitor it yourself and comply fully with the S.I.

Many shooters that are not PSA licensed, have self monitored alarms and fully comply with the SI. Not that many of us actually require an alarm that is connected to a monitoring station.

In terms of monitoring requirements there is no special dispensation for PSA license holders.
    If I am wrong you should be able to provide a link demonstrating this.

Home secure.ie are offering a alarm @99 euro +34.95 a month monitoring on a 36 month contract including servicing and maintenance with a motion sensor in each room that has a gunsafe and alarms on the safes.
    Anyone go with these crowd before?

Home secure.ie are offering a alarm @99 euro +34.95 a month monitoring on a 36 month contract including servicing and maintenance with a motion sensor in each room that has a gunsafe and alarms on the safes.
    Anyone go with these crowd before?

You get what you pay for.

Motion detection will only detect when someone is in the house, (a bit late in my opinion) as such should only complement other methods of detection. Full perimeter protection is best as this will activate when someone is attempting to gain entry. This is normally achieved with inertia shock sensors and contacts.

Questions like this are best dealt with in the home security forum.

I'm aware of that. If you have a PSA licence you can monitor it yourself and comply fully with the S.I.

I'll hold my hand up here and say I don't know what I'm talking about but I'd imagine there's a difference in having a PSA licence for monitoring alarms and having a PSA licence that allows you to work as a bouncer.

I might be wrong, but I'd guess that's the way things work.

You get what you pay for.

Motion detection will only detect when someone is in the house, (a bit late in my opinion) as such should only complement other methods of detection. Full perimeter protection is best as this will activate when someone is attempting to gain entry. This is normally achieved with inertia shock sensors and contacts.

Questions like this are best dealt with in the home security forum.
    Their putting sensors on all windows and doors at that price too, shock sensors to detect someone trying to break a window etc..

Their putting sensors on all windows and doors at that price too, shock sensors to detect someone trying to break a window etc..

You know what they say about a deal that sounds to good to be true.......

This isn’t really the forum to get into a technical discussion about alarms. If you would like to know the pros and cons of this deal I suggest that you post in the home security forum. It pays to shop around and do your homework.

Best of luck with whatever you decide & happy shooting :)

• Advertisement

You know what they say about a deal that sounds to good to be true.......

This isn’t really the forum to get into a technical discussion about alarms. If you would like to know the pros and cons of this deal I suggest that you post in the home security forum. It pays to shop around and do your homework.

Best of luck with whatever you decide & happy shooting :)

Yeah im just looking for quotes in my area, i posted here to see which companies firearms owners use and thus which companies have experience alarming gunsafe etc..
    Im ringing the company that does the alarm at work in the morning as i got chatting to a the fella that was servicing the alarm and he said he has experience alarming gunsafes and their very reasonable for their monitoring 20euro ish a month though you have to pay for the system and they use a HKC system like what was recommended here

HKC are one of a number of good systems. Lots of installers use them so there is lots of competition. Siemens make a good system too but not many installers use it so very little competition, this pushes prices up for a very similar product.

Alarming a gun safe is something that any installer can do, it’s not difficult.

BTW I haven’t worked in this area for a very long time so I have no skin in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mac10guns

Under current legislation an Intruder Alarm Must be installed by a Private Security Authority (PSA) licensed Installation company. These companies all must comply with the EN50131-1:2006+A1:2009 standard. The standard is what is known as "risk based" and each installation should be graded accordingly. An Intruder alarm can be as simple or as complicated as you wish. I would suggest that even if you start with a basic alarm you choose a control panel that allows you to expand the system at a later date. Consider a hybrid panel which allows both wired and wireless zones, this means that future add-ons don't have to entail destroying the decor or involve major works for cabling. The most effective alarms are the ones that someone responds to !!!!. The gun cabinet can be kept on 24 hour alarm so if somebody entered the house with your family at home the alarm will still activate silently even if the main alarm is not set. This means that the Gardai are aware that they are responding to an alarm involving a firearm. With regard to PSA licencing ... There is one licence required to install and maintain an Intruder Alarm system and another to monitor an Alarm system.

Advertisement