Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commitals - help needed

Options
  • 27-01-2019 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,

I'm a polish lawyer, writing a thesis about sex offenders in Ireland/Poland.
    Work is nearly ready, but I'm stuck on statistics.

Can you explain me please, what does it mean "committals"??
    As far as I got 'committal' is a process of sending smbd to an institution.
    but that doesn't make any sense if I look on that report..

IPS Annual report says:

"There were 9,287 committals to prison in 2017 (...) -> ???
    7,484 persons were sent to prison in 2017
    A total of 7,484 persons accounted for the 9,287 committals" -> does it mean something like, 7,484 persons commit 9,287 crimes?

The total of 9,287 committals comprised of: -> what does commitals mean here?
    • 5,486 under sentence,
    • 3,355 on remand,
    • 22 for European Arrest Warrant extradition,
    • 418 under immigration law and
    • 6 for indefinite contempt of court"

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Johnny Red Cab

Committals mean persons sent to prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 margaret_87

ok, so what does it mean "a total of 7,484 persons accounted for the 9,287 committals"? it will not make any sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Johnny Red Cab

It means that some people were sent to prison more than once.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I would think some may have had multiple committals. Many offenders are charged with multiple counts and are given concurrent sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

ok, so what does it mean "a total of 7,484 persons accounted for the 9,287 committals"? it will not make any sense

That there were 1803 repeat offenders (ie 9287 minus 7484)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 margaret_87

oh yes, right, thanks a million.
    must read more about recidivism in IE

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I presume some of the 3300 remanded in custody were subsequently convicted and got custodial sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

4ensic15 wrote: »
    I would think some may have had multiple committals. Many offenders are charged with multiple counts and are given concurrent sentences.

Would a committal for multiple offences given at the same sentence hearing count as multiple committals? Would the sentences not have to be given at separate hearings to count as multiple committals?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

gozunda wrote: »
    That there were 1803 repeat offenders (ie 9287 minus 7484)

Or there was 1 repeat offender with 1,802 convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,157 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Would a committal for multiple offences given at the same sentence hearing count as multiple committals? Would the sentences not have to be given at separate hearings to count as multiple committals?
    Generally there'd be just one commital on conviction in a single trial, regardless of the number offences dealt with at that trial. But if offences are tried separately, each trial (at which there is a conviction and a custodial sentence) generates a commital.

But note that people may be committed before being convicted. If you're charged with a serious offence, you may be committed to prison in advance of your trial (to stop you running away, interfering with witnesses, etc). This is called being "remanded in custody"). Then, if you're convicted at the trial, and receive a sentence of imprisonment, you'll be committed to prison a second time, to serve your sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Generally there'd be just one commital on conviction in a single trial, regardless of the number offences dealt with at that trial. But if offences are tried separately, each trial (at which there is a conviction and a custodial sentence) generates a commital.

But note that people may be committed before being convicted. If you're charged with a serious offence, you may be committed to prison in advance of your trial (to stop you running away, interfering with witnesses, etc). This is called being "remanded in custody"). Then, if you're convicted at the trial, and receive a sentence of imprisonment, you'll be committed to prison a second time, to serve your sentence.

Ah i knew about the remand situation which somebody else mentioned was probably the reason for multiple committals. In fact i probably know about it that is healthy, though mostly from an english perspective.

Advertisement