Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearblue pregnancy test ‘stuck’ on 2-3 weeks

Options
  • 26-01-2019 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all!
    I’m 7 weeks pregnant 🎉 (give or take 3-4 days) one week after my period due date, I tested with a clearblue pregnancy test with weeks indicator and it read ‘pregnant 1-2 weeks’. A week later I tested again and it said ‘pregnant 2-3 weeks’. Another week later, when I was expecting it to read ‘pregnant 3+ weeks’ it is still reading 2-3 weeks. I’m beginning to worry now. Has this happened to anyone and if so what was the outcome? What could be the possible cause? I’m going to phone my ob-gyn on Monday for advice/scan/blood test, I’ll let you all know how I go. Here’s hoping all is ok ðŸ™ðŸ»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Hi all!
    I’m 7 weeks pregnant 🎉 (give or take 3-4 days) one week after my period due date, I tested with a clearblue pregnancy test with weeks indicator and it read ‘pregnant 1-2 weeks’. A week later I tested again and it said ‘pregnant 2-3 weeks’. Another week later, when I was expecting it to read ‘pregnant 3+ weeks’ it is still reading 2-3 weeks. I’m beginning to worry now. Has this happened to anyone and if so what was the outcome? What could be the possible cause? I’m going to phone my ob-gyn on Monday for advice/scan/blood test, I’ll let you all know how I go. Here’s hoping all is ok ðŸ™ðŸ»

I don't think them things are 100% reliable. Maybe try with first morning urine but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have you been to your GP for the test they do? I understand it is much more certain than a home test kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

This is a really common problem. Ordinarily I'd avoid googling too much in pregnancy as you'll always be overwhelmed with tragic cases, but this problem is very common if you Google it.

Many GPs don't bother with a pregnancy test as they say that the home tests are far more accurate. I think they can test your hormone levels in your blood though, which would indicate how well the pregnancy is progressing. Also some private scans can be done as early as 8weeks I think, so that could be a nice way to get some peace of mind. Pm me if you'd like a recommendation in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Cash_Q wrote: »
    This is a really common problem. Ordinarily I'd avoid googling too much in pregnancy as you'll always be overwhelmed with tragic cases, but this problem is very common if you Google it.

Many GPs don't bother with a pregnancy test as they say that the home tests are far more accurate. I think they can test your hormone levels in your blood though, which would indicate how well the pregnancy is progressing. Also some private scans can be done as early as 8weeks I think, so that could be a nice way to get some peace of mind. Pm me if you'd like a recommendation in Dublin.

My wife had a private scan in her 7th week, could see a heartbeat etc, so OP could book in somewhere,

If memory serves the clear blue went from 1-2, 2-3 a bit longer then hoped, and eventually did go to 3+

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

I'd agree to book in for an early scan for nothing else but reassurance as it's the only way of knowing. I'm sure it's fine though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Victor wrote: »
    Have you been to your GP for the test they do? I understand it is much more certain than a home test kit.

It's actually the opposite, the home tests are much more sensitive than the GP tests. Home tests can often detect lower levels of HCG. The tests in the GPs just show a line for pregnancy so other than a blood test, there is no way for them to determine how pregnant the OP is.

OP, if you are concerned, book a private scan for yourself. I know early pregnancy is a worrying time (I have FINALLY hit the second trimester), so a scan will put you at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP one thing I read in the leaflet of the ClearBlue was that while the Pregnant/Not Pregnant part is very accurate the weeks aren't always as it depends on when you do it and the level of hormones in your system (likely to be lower as the day goes on then on first pee of the day).

As others have said, the home tests are often a lot better than some of the GP ones. In fact my GP uses the ClearBlue ones themselves as the strips they have aren't as accurate.

If you're worried, then defo book an appointment and go for a private scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

There genuinely comes a time when testing does more harm then good. I’m sure it sounds easy for me to say but those indicators can drive you mad, or comparing lines to see have they darkened sufficiently! HCG doubles every 48hrs so it may take a while to hit the right level to get 3+ weeks. Like the others say maybe look into a private scan. You are pregnant so maybe leave the testing for the moment and visit your GP for a chat to reassure you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Why do you keep testing?I did one test on each and that was it!!!If I wasn't pregnant anymore, there would be obvious signs, or else a scan would tell me at a later date.Trust your body and nature.Book an early scan (7+ weeks) if you want to know if the pregnancy is healthy.The tests aren't going to tell you any more at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 brightyellow

Thanks for all the helpful comments and suggestions! I’ve been for a blood test on Monday and am heading again this morning for a second test. I will know by this evening if I’m pregnant. Please God all will be ok but at least I will know either way! Will let you know how I get on!

Found this useful
    https://www.healthline.com/health/pregnancy/low-hcg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Good luck today

Hi all,
    Quick update for if this ever happens anyone else! My HCG levels didn’t double unfortunately so I went for a scan yesterday. Ob-gyn said the embryo was in the right place so not eptopic but that he couldn’t call it: “inconclusive viability” he said. He said he thought there may be a fetal heartbeat but it was too early to read and I’d have to come back in 10 days to have another’s scan. He said that over the next 10 days that I may not bleed, or if I do bleed but bleed less than a period that things may still be ok, or if I bleed like a period that then it’s probably the body getting rid of the tissue naturally. Either way I have to go back for a scan on Monday week. I have been bleeding since after the scan, not as heavy as a period but still there. Will keep you posted.

Hi all,
    Quick update for if this ever happens anyone else! My HCG levels didn’t double unfortunately so I went for a scan yesterday. Ob-gyn said the embryo was in the right place so not eptopic but that he couldn’t call it: “inconclusive viability” he said. He said he thought there may be a fetal heartbeat but it was too early to read and I’d have to come back in 10 days to have another’s scan. He said that over the next 10 days that I may not bleed, or if I do bleed but bleed less than a period that things may still be ok, or if I bleed like a period that then it’s probably the body getting rid of the tissue naturally. Either way I have to go back for a scan on Monday week. I have been bleeding since after the scan, not as heavy as a period but still there. Will keep you posted.

Mind yourself. Loads of self care and rest. It can be a very stressful wait: waiting for the scan or watching the bleeding like a hawk. I am sorry you are going through this x

Hi all,

Aw you poor thing I've been in that position before it's just a waiting game unfortunately. I'll be keeping everything crossed for you xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Similar situation with my pregnancy, HCG was increasing but not doubling, initial scans showed a pregnancy in the right location but no heartbeat so of "unknown viability." I was bleeding every single day in the early stages.

Fine big healthy five-year-old boy to show for it now! ;) Hopefully you'll have a similar outcome.

Thank you for sharing that, there may be a window of hope for me so! I’m certainly praying hard. Thanks again everyone for the supportive words x

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have had early bleeds on all three, been in for early scans from 5 weeks on them all.I actually have my hospital notes, was looking at them recently, and "unknown viability" is written on all the early ones.It's the follow up one that gives them the info, bit like the HCG levels, if there has been comparable growth and a heartbeat etc, they know more.I have three healthy kids.Hopefully you will get good news in ten days.Take it very easy, no lifting, carrying etc.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share that. I feel a little more hopeful now thanks to you. I will keep you posted!!

Hi all,
    Quick update... unfortunately the pregnancy was not viable this time and it passed on Sunday night. I had another scan on Monday and ob-gyn confirmed it. At least I didn’t need to have a procedure to remove any tissue and doctor said to try again straight away. It’s very disappointing and I feel sad but I know it could be worse so trying to stay hopeful ðŸ™ðŸ»
    Anyone have any idea of how to gauge ovulation after an early pregnancy loss/miscarriage?

Sorry to hear that brightyellow.
    You could buy an ovulation kit, just a clearblue one-that might help?

• Advertisement

Thank you ðŸ™ðŸ»
    Yes I have tried them before but ob-gyn said they are not always 100% reliable and with potentially skewed hormones right now, I was wondering if anyone else has been lucky in first cycle after early miscarriage?

I am sorry to hear you miscarried. I was told to wait one cycle before getting pregnant after my miscarriage. I think it was to ensure the womb lining was back. I have heard of a couple of people who miscarried a second time if they got pregnant after a month. I didn't get my period for about 7 weeks after I stopped bleeding but got pregnant just over 3 months after the miscarriage.

Thank you for your message ðŸ™ðŸ»
    My ob-gyn said the sooner you get pregnant again the better so am going to try it! Please God we will be lucky again soon, I’m 41 so don’t have too much time left. Good luck to everyone else trying at the minute ðŸ™ðŸ»ðŸ™ðŸ»ðŸ™ðŸ»

Aw bright yellow sorry to hear that. Mind yourself xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I had a mc in July, another in Aug and got pregnant late aug early sept I’m due in May. Miscarriages aren’t easy I’m sorry it’s not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Thinking of you Brightyellow

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭anndub

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I've had 2 pregnancies end in miscarriage and was told I could physically start again straight away but to judge for myself whether I was emotionally ready. The consultant was of the opinion you won't conceive until you're physically ready anyway so there's nothing to lose but the emotional side is harder to guage.

They ask you to wait for one cycle only for dating purposes. Pregnancy after loss can be very stressful and it is easier to be sure of dates. Having an idea in your head about how far along you are and then a scan not matching can really send you into a spin when grief is still raw.

I haven't had the experience but I do know a number of people who have got pregnant very quickly again after a loss and gone on to have healthy babies.I hope it all works out well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Sorry to hear this Brightyellow. I was hoping things would work out for you. My first pregnancy ended in similar circumstances to yours. The hospital told me to wait one cycle but the GP told me that was just to make dating the pregnancy easier and try as soon as I felt emotionally ready. It’s a difficult time so take care of yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement